Install the Laser kit on Ender3 V2
In the previous post about Creality Laser Kit, I did a basic introduction of laser head used on a 3D printer. The Creality Laser Kit uses magnets to attach the laser head to a metal nozzle cover. But this method will not work on a 3D printer that has a plastic nozzle cover, like CR 10 V2 or Ender 3 V2. In this post, I will provide an approach to installing a laser head on Ender 3 V2.
Things We Need
- Laser Kit ——The Creality Laser Kit is specially designed for Creality 3D printers. Other laser heads may also be applied with some modifications. ( Store Link)
- 3D printed Adapter Plate( Download Link)
- 3D printed Positioning Plate (Optional)
- Software —— Creality Workshop (Download Link)
- TF card&Adapter
- Ender 3 V2
Step One: Print Parts and Install the Laser Head
1.Print the adapter plate and
2.Take out the flat screws for magnets and mount the adapter plate on the laser head,
3.Slide the adapter plate on the left side of the fan cover.
Step Two: Circuit Wiring
Warning: Make sure the power is disconnected when you do the following operations. And wear the laser glasses.
1.Open the controller cover and find the port for [blower fan]
2.Slowly take out the [blower fan]connection and replace it with the laser cable.
3.Close the cover and organize the laser cable.
Step Three: Adjust the laser Head
You will find detailed steps in the following post. Caution with the laser beam!!
- You can use [Set Home Offset] to manually define the origin of the workpiece.
- You can unplug the Z motor cable to prevent it from moving.
Pros and Cons
- The 500mW laser head is capable of engraving on most soft materials like wood, leather, and plastic.
- It is really easy to set up and use.
- Creality Workshop can turn .jpg pictures into gcode instantly.
- It makes 3D printers more interesting and creative.
- Marlin2.0 and higher limits laser functions: only [Outline] works as expected; [Grayscale] and [BlackWhite] are bad-resulting.
- Low laser power, cannot cut thick materials.
- Limited software.
- The laser is dangerous to human eyes and body!
Creality Laser kit is an add-on item for 3D printers and it uses 3Dprinter’s structure and firmware to engrave objects. Therefore, we can add a laser to a 3D printer without complex modifications. In fact, this laser kit is able to achieve more effects on older printers that use Malin 1.x.x. While, When Marlin 2.0 is used on more and more new printers, It somehow lost the laser features like G2, G3 and other unknown commands.
Ender 3 V2, for example, has Marlin 2.0 and plastic fan cover. It has to use a adapter plate and its laser fuction is limited to engraving oulines of pictures. You can still make many great works with the laser kit.
4 responses to “Install the Laser kit on Ender3 V2”
Is there any way to work around the limitations of Marlin 2.0 on an Ender 3 v2?
Is there any way to get Creality Workshop on a mac?
Have you tried this with the Ender 3 Pro Silent Motherboard? When I installed the silent mother board and connected the laser, I then started changing the fan percentage. The laser never turned on. I then unplugged the laser and checked the voltage for both of the fan connections on the mother board with the fan set to 50% and saw no voltage from either of the fan connections.
Will the Creality X002N5FKFB 500 mW laser work with the Creality X002ABIVHF silent motherboard?
Any and all help will be appreciated!!
[…] Related Post: Install the Laser kit on Ender3 V2 […]