Are you still struggling with how to choose the suitable BL Touch kits for your printer? Are you worried about the cable connection or firmware flashing? Do not worry! In this article, you will find the most gathered, plain, and useful information related to Creality BL Touch kits.
Before telling you how to choose, install and flash the firmware, I would like to introduce what the Bl touch is and how BL touch works. In this way, I believe that you will understand the BL touch accessory much better.
- What is BL Touch?
Simply saying, BLTouch is an electronic sensor for 3D Printers which can precisely measure the distance between nozzle and bed surface, no matter what is the materials of the bed, such as glasses, woods, metals, and so on.
- How does BL TOUCH works?
Here I am not going to explain it complicated as well. BL touch will measure the distance between the build plate and the nozzle. When you print something, the printer will automatically adjust the Z-axis deviation between the nozzle and the bed according to the data that BL touch measured before. In this way, the nozzle will always be relatively parallel to the bed even the bed itself was not leveling.
How to choose BL touch?
Remember that it is very very very important to choose the right BL Touch accessories for different printers!
What will you get in BL Touch kits?
What you get in the box of BL touch kits will cause the different methods to flash the firmware. I’ve summarized the following three situations:
- Generally speaking, the Bl touch kits including a BL touch, Pin 27 board (Pinboard A), A BL touch extension cable (Burner), a metal bracket as well as a programmer (ISP Pinboard) that negates the need for a bootloader, of course, you will also find an instruction manual and some mounting bolts.
- However, for some printer’s BL touch kits, such as the BL touch kits for CR-10 V2/V3, there will be no ISP pinboard and Burner, which used to write the firmware to the mainboard. In this case, you will need to flash the firmware via the Micro USD or Mini USD port.
- Besides, For the printer Ender-3-V2 that has a 32-bit mainboard, you can flash the firmware via an SD card.
Note：Just make sure that you format the SD card before copying the firmware file to the SD card, as it is only available for the printers to update when there is ONLY one firmware file in the SD card. (The official instruction included in the BL touch kits teaches this clearly)
How to flash the Firmware?
The first job is to flash the firmware. Basically, you can follow the official instruction manual to flash the firmware. The purpose of this step is to make your printer recognize the newly added Bl touch kits.
How to connect the wires for firmware flashing?
As I mentioned before, there are different ways to flash the firmware. It depends on your printers’ mainboard. Here I am going to tell you the method of flashing firmware via ISP pinboard and burner.
Step 1: To take the ISP programmer and plug in the ISP Pinboard. There is only one direction that they can insert so you do not have to worried about the direction.
Step 2: To read the labels on the side of the ISP Pinboard and locate the side with GND and VCC. You need to unplug the ribbon cable connector for the LCD screen to create the room so that we can plug in our adapter with the VCC and GND side facing outwards to the edge of the board.
Step 3: Plug the programmer (Burner) into our computer and switch to the software.
How to finish the Firmware Flashing Settings?
If you go to the page for the product, there will be many links there and you have to choose to right one for your printer. Be careful that this step is also very important, you have to make sure that you download the right version of firmware for your printers.
More Creality 3D printer firmware information, please click here: Creality 3D Printer Firmware Download Guide.
After downloading the firmware, you can unzip the files, then we start the main program via progisp.exe. Then you can follow the below instructions to flash the firmware.
After finishing the settings, Upplug the ISP pinboard from mainboard.
How to install the BL touch?
The BL touch installation is not the difficiult part. Just install it according to the instruction manual as below.
How to connect the wiring?
There are two types of BL touch wiring. One is the 5 pins connectors and the another one is 3+2 pins.
- If it is 5 pins connectors. Easy! Just unplug the original cable from the Z limit switch and insert the BL touch connector.
- But if it is 3+2 pins connectors as below picture. You will be very careful with the colours of BL touch wirings.
Must be careful with the colours of cables!
- Step 1: Plug in the BL touch extension cable into Pinboard A. It needs to be in the correct orientation to avoid blowing anything up, so read the label on Pinboard A and plug the BL touch extension cable in alignment.
- Step 2: Pinboard A plugs into space where the LCD ribbon cable was. Take care to make sure it is centered as it is possible to plug in misaligned.
- Step 3: There are three stop plugs all in a row on the mainboard, We need to find and unplug the one that has the Z label, and then insert the BL touch black and grey cables in the correct direction.
How to Setting Z-Offset for a BLTouch?
When you finished the BL touch firmware flashing and installation, it does not mean that you can use the BL Touch directly while printing. You have to do the platform adjustment which tells your printer where Z is and how far off is the nozzle when the BL touch probe found where Z is.
Actually, there are some instructions for platform adjustment, but I prefer to recommend you watch this video-How to Install Creality BL Touch Auto Bed Leveling Sensor Tutorial which was made by cheule. In this video, you will not only find how to do it and will also understand why.
Ok, that is all what I want to share with you today. Hope it helps you and thanks for reading! If you are interested in Creality other accessories and have some confusion on it, please leave me a message.
There are some upgraded parts for Ender series ON SALE!
Let us take a look and make your printer more cool！
Click : Upgraded Parts For Ender Series
More accessory links: