Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Problems printing with iSANMATE 80/20 PLA+/Wood filament

tundrwd
(@tundrwd)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

I'm having issues printing with iSANMATE 80/20 PLA+/Wood filament.  First time I've used this.

Using a 0.4mm nozzle, printing at 0.2mm layer height.

I started with my 'normal' settings of 200C hot end and 60C bed.  I couldn't even get one layer down before the filament wouldn't extrude.  Acted like it was - but filament wasn't moving.  Had an issue pushing the filament through to the hot end.  Acted kind of hard to push.

So - raised temp to 215C hot end and 65C on the bed.  That was much better, but again, I could only get through maybe 120-170 layers before the same thing would happen.  Just wouldn't extrude and just stops.

I'm not sure what the issue is, I could:

• Run the hot end higher, maybe around 220-225C
  • Do I "clean" the filament - which really means cleaning off any "dust" that's on it from the wood sawdust.  It does feel a bit "slicker" than normal PLA/PLA+ that I've used.  Not sure how to do that for long prints though without pulling a lot of filament off the roll - and then I'm not sure what I would use to "clean" it.  Isopropyl alchohol?  Denatured alcohol?  Acetone?
  • Or do I need to go to a larger nozzle size?  Say 0.6mm?

It acts like it just gets bogged up in the hot end - thats why I think it helped to raise the hot end temp by 10-15C over what I normally run - so that kept things flowing better.  That's why I suspect it's getting clogged up in the nozzle/hot end.

But - what have others done or experienced?

ReplyQuote
校工叔叔(Mr. Au)
(@nice)

I will try re-seat the bowden tube to make sure there's no gap between the tub and the nozzle.  A bit hard to explain in words.

Find this picture on google, not exactly the same setup thou.  I hope you get what I mean.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@tundrwd This looks like an extruder issue. so you could check:

1. Please check if the extruder works properly, sometimes the extruder gear can not push the filament in due to poor gear condition/guide chute slips or gets stuck.

2. As @nice mentioned, the gap between the nozzle and Bowden tube will cause the clog.

3. As for the nozzle and bed temp, follow the filament recommended temperature is fine.

4. Use a larger nozzle size maybe help a little as the backpressure will lower. But check 1 and 2 first.

ReplyQuote
tundrwd
(@tundrwd)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kevin

@tundrwd This looks like an extruder issue. so you could check:

1. Please check if the extruder works properly, sometimes the extruder gear can not push the filament in due to poor gear condition/guide chute slips or gets stuck.

2. As @nice mentioned, the gap between the nozzle and Bowden tube will cause the clog.

3. As for the nozzle and bed temp, follow the filament recommended temperature is fine.

4. Use a larger nozzle size maybe help a little as the backpressure will lower. But check 1 and 2 first.

Extruder works fine.  I can immediately shift to another PLA/PLA+ filament - and it prints without issue at that point.  Seems to be strictly related to this wood filament.

ReplyQuote
校工叔叔(Mr. Au)
(@nice)

I miss the point where you said wood filament on your original post.  I never print wood filament but I remember reading about it awhile ago.  Like Kelvin said, it's better to use larger size (0.6 or 0.8) nozzle for this kind of filament because of the particles for this kind of filament.

ReplyQuote