Notifications
Clear all

Ender 3 V2 won't print

Page 1 / 2

phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Somehow messed up settings on my Ender 3 V2, 4.2.7 board, no BL Touch, etc. Got latest firmware files from Creality, un-zipped, copied to FAT32 formatted 8gb card and flashed. The screen controls are OK but when I go to print, it reports 'BACK' and no other action or message. Bed and nozzle heat OK. Renamed the main board firmware, re-flashed, but results are unchanged.  In short, all looks good but print won't initiate. 

A related problem--when I click auto-home, the nozzle goes to the normal left front-corner position and raises 3 or 4 mm, but won't go back down toward the bed.  The X-stop has been repeatedly adjusted but doesn't help.

Any ideas?

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by phranch

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch Which firmware did you flash? It looks like there is no correct firmware. Is it this one?

https://forums.creality3dofficial.com/download/ender-series/ender-3-v2/

Ender3 V2-4.2.7-TMC2225

Marlin-2.0.1_V1.0.1

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Kevin--Honestly, I have downloaded so many times from both sites, creality.com and the creality.official (forum) site plus used outside help, that I am no longer sure.  I BELIEVE it was this one, Ender3 V2-4.2.7-TMC2225

Marlin-2.0.1_V1.0.1 dated 8-29-20 from the Official site.

Less likely, it was Ender-3 v2 4.2.7mainboard(32bit).zip,  dated 1-28-21 from creality.com/download

Sorry to add this further confusion.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch Too wired. When auto home, the normal process for the printer without BL-touch is:

The X-axis goes to the left to click the stop switch. Then the Y-axis goes to the back to click the stop switch. Then the nozzle goes to the center and starts to go down to click the Z stop switch.

Is it possible that the motherboard is broken?

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Bed Broken?  I never know and don't know of a way to check.  I just received a NEW 4.2.7 board (the 4th one!) yesterday.  It is one that is SAID to have the E3V2 4.2.7 firmware installed, see Amazon--

Creality Ender 3 V2 New Upgraded Motherboard Silent Mainboard V4.2.7 with TMC2225 Stepper Driver Marlin 2.0.1 for Ender 3 V2  

I installed it as is, controls look normal, bed and nozzle heat, firmware V1.0.1, BUT auto home still malfunctions.

Click auto home,

X carriage lifts and goes to X stop,

bumps it 2 times,

bed moves forward then back to Y stop,

(now carriage is at left front corner as expected)

X carriage raises 3-4 mm and stops, doesn't go down and is way too high, same as last on 2 boards.  

No one in our small town knows 3D printing.  My only help is a friendly PC tech who knows NIL about 3D.  He helps me via remote control with file manipulation, un-zipping, firmware, etc, computer related.  I am in no way being critical!  I am so pleased to even get an answer, (rare)! I had an un-named forum reply this week to  the same question, "Sounds like it wants to go back".  I am laughing along with him because it underscores the the complexities you moderators face when responding.  I am not giving up and hope you don't either!  Sincere thanks, Kevin!

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by phranch

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch Hi, Bro. I have no idea what issue would cause this problem at the moment but do not worry. I am no going to give up.

Can you record a video for me if you can? Although your description is very clear, I still want to see the specific situation.

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Very sorry--don't know how to do that very well, will get help.  Embarrassing!  I understand.  If you could be here, watch it, touch it, it would be much better for you.  A lingering thought I've had--could it be software related some how, like when Cura builds the .stl with details of what of nozzle movement to do, how much, when, where, etc. or Marlin ?  But what do I know........

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch Ok. that is fine. Let's go back to the printer. You said when you click auto home. the X and Y move fine, but Z goes up and then never goes down again to click the end-stop.

So, if I were you, I would like check"Can I move Z-axis goes up and down manually when I disable the motor."AND "Can I move Z-axis goes up and down normally on the display."

If all these are doing well, it means at least the mainboard, Z-axis cable, Z motor, and wiring connection are all good.

If you go to Prepare--> Move Axis, and can only move Z-axis goes up (positive values), but can not go down. Then you should open your mainboard case to check If your Z switch connection tight enough on the mainboard.

By the way, you said " X-stop has been repeatedly adjusted but doesn't help." in your first post, why X-stop? It Z-axis a related issue. Is it a typo?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by kevin

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Kevin, I've tried 5 or 6 times this AM to send you a 3.1mb MP4 vid--once it got to 18% done, then disappeared, just like all the others.

I'm sending this w/o the vid .

Yes, I can move the Z axis up and down manually when steppers are disabled.

When I go to Prepare--> Move Axis, the Z axis responds normally to negative and positive commands.  Just now took the bottom off to re-check all connections.

And yes, that was a typo--I meant to say Z.  Sorry!  You're both perceptive and inductive!

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch So weird!  The Z-axis can respond normally to negative and positive commands means your mainboard and wiring connection are fine. So the issue should be firmware. But according to your post, you are familiar with the firmware flashing process.

Format sd card, only put on .bin file, -renamed the file,-insert the card when power off,-Power on the printer.

One thing I do not understand. The Ender 3v2 default mainboard is V4.2.2 32bit with TMC2209 silent stepper driver. The default one is a silent mainboard, so why you have to upgrade it with a V4.2.7 board?

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Yes, once the file is unzipped I can load a SD card and flash it, as you describe in your 2nd paragraph.  To rename, my tech friend added a B right after TMC2225.

As to the board version--I have read MANY, MANY posts with reference to fried main boards--you even mentioned the possibility, which is very logical.  I was having problems with the E3v2 and the  original 4.2.2 board, and thought I might have broken, so I ordered the 4.2.7 as the replacement.  Why not the 4.2.2 again? I don't remember--maybe I'd read that the 2225 drivers were better???  

Since it seems that main boards either work or they do not, and several fora were not offering any suggestions, I saw no other avenue out than to just buy another board!  And I've bought 4 in total!  I'm not crying or blaming anyone, because my lack of knowledge/experience is full-on absolutely the source of my problems.  It is what it is and that's the way it is!  I'm not trying to play a martyr, victim, or seeking pity--I'd just like to have the satisfaction of making the damned thing work while living with my short comings!  IN VERITAS DOLOR

As I re-read this I get a strong sense of defensiveness.  Not at all the image I want to project when asking for others' help.  If possible please over look that glitch and continue with your well-reasoned and much appreciated approach.  

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch Ender3 V2-4.2.7-TMC2225+B?? Is this the name you gave to .bin file? 

Seems it does not properly support spaces in the firmware's file name. Please just simply rename it as "Ender3V2" and try again. 

God bless you!!!

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Sorry for delay, Kevin.

Yes, I used the rename as you have shown, BUT it did not have a "+".

I used your suggestion for a shorter name but it did not work--same movement as before.  Know of anyone who could use a hexed printer???

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Honorable Member Admin

@phranch https://forums.creality3dofficial.com/community/general-discussion-announcement/autohome-doesnt-move-troubleshooting/#post-5661

Here is a case that the latest version firmware did not work for no reason. I am thinking that if it is the same for you. Maybe go back to the default board and firmware will get your printer work.

ReplyQuote
phranch
(@phranch)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I had replied to you but since it isn't shown here, I assume it did not go thru so will try again.

It still doesn't work!  I switched the board from 4.2.7 back to 4.2.2.  Got the proper 4.2.2 file from Creality3dofficial, unzipped, renamed, rebooted with the SD card, after first updating the DWIN files in the display panel.  After clicking auto-home, the carriage performs as before; its last movement is up the z axis, rather than down toward the bed, leaving the nozzle way too high.

If all the mechanical and software options are exhausted, then I have to be the unwitting problem source.  I must locate someone with the ability to "repair" it hands on, probably going to another city nearby.  (I just quickly Googled 3D printer repair--at first look the nearest is 130 mi. away!)

Your final thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Scroll Up