Notifications
Clear all

Defective Prints (Possibly Under Extrusion)

ledage
(@ledage)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been having this recurrent problem with my printings (Ender 3 V2) where this type of significant artifacts makes essentially any print unusable:

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

I am fairly new to 3D printing so I am not sure what keywords I should be looking for online to find solutions for this problem. From what I could gather it seems like an under extrusion problem. I have tried some of the usually suggested advice but I still get the same results. What I have tried so far:

- Check if there's a clog in the nozzle: I have manually pushed filament out and there doesn't seem to be any weird resistance. It also doesn't come out bent/at an angle so I think there is no clog.

- Increased the filament transmission in the motion settings of the printer: tried to increase from 93 to 95, 98 and 106, none of them produced any difference.

- Adjusted the tightness of the screws in the extruder. I have tried to make both the spring and the arm screws looser/tighter (in varying degrees since I am not sure how tight/loose they should be) but still no difference.

Important notes:

I have had the printer for 4/5 months and I had no issues printing anything for the first few months. ~2 months ago I had a filament break inside the hose and get stuck. I had to remove the extruder to be able to remove the stuck filament. After I put it back it worked fine for the next 5/6 prints but then this issue started appearing so it might be related. I have managed to control it a bit before by adjusting the screws in the extruder but the issue quickly reappeared and no matter what adjustments I make to the screws, the issue persists.

Also, I have noticed that when fitting new filament into the extruder it doesn't fit very easily into the hole (the one that connects to the hose), I always need to insert it in a very specific angle so that it goes through. It seems like something (the dented wheel or the smooth one maybe) might be a bit misaligned since when I first got the printer I had no issues fitting the filament.

Any advice or new things to try? Can you identify the specific issue I am having and suggest me some keywords so that I can try to look for solutions online?

Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@ledage Hi. For sure you got some extruder issue if you are sure that the nozzle is not clogged. As you mentioned you have disassembled the extruder and the issues started appearing, so all the thread points to the extruder. The best way is to replace the extruder. 

Metal Extruder kit is recommended. The dual gear extruder is also ok, but you need to re-calibrate your printer.

Matthew liked
ReplyQuote
Mike Airspeed
(@mike-airspeed)
New Member Registered

@ledage

Hi mate,

I'm even newer, but I've found that slowing the print speed down from 100 to 60 under "Tune" improved a similar situation when printing blocks.

Cheers, Mike

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@mike-airspeed Interesting found. Because I got similar issues when I replaced the new filament, as the filament loop is too heavy. The extruder gear is not strong enough to pull the filament. When I use only half of the circle of filament, this issue disappeared.

ReplyQuote