Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Cant get my prints to stick

KArthur1
(@karthur1)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I am new to 3D printing and I am having the hardest time getting my prints to stick the the bed.  I have a Ender carborundium plate. Using PLA.  Bed temp is 60 and head temp is 205 for the first layer.

I have tried school glue and using sugar water on the glass plate.

I have "leveled to bed" and that is not it.  It puts down a smooth line.  Its just that it does not stick. 

What is the trick to putting down a first layer that sticks? 

This topic was modified 4 months ago by KArthur1

ReplyQuote
vancha
(@vancha)
New Member Registered

@karthur1 I cleaned the glass plate that came with my ender 3 with turpentine.. I've only done three prints in my entire life, but they stuck so much that I couldn't even get them off. If there's no obvious issues with doing that (I couldn't think of any, but i haven't seen anyone use it online either), you could try that. Just wipe off the bed with a microfiber cloth and a little turpentine, let it evaporate for a couple of minutes, and then try heating the bed and leveling it again? I hope it helps.

ReplyQuote
KArthur1
(@karthur1)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I think I figured out my issue. It has to do with a couple things.  My printing issues were related to where I positioned the "Z" home switch.  Since the machine uses this for homing, it is critical that this switch is set a few set within .1mm of where the glass plate is located. Since the position of the glass bed changes when you do the leveling, the switch needs to be positioned AFTER the leveling procedure.

After I leveled the bed, I kept adjusting the switch down and homing the z-axis, then measure the gap between the nozzle and the bed. I kept doing that until I had it within about .1mm (.004in). After I did it that way, my prints stick beautifully to the carborundium plate.  When the plate cools the print is barely even attached to the glass.

This setup instructions do not tell us to do it this way, but this is CRITICAL.  Otherwise the printer really does not know where the glass bed is located to start putting down material.

ReplyQuote