Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Brand New Ender 3 v2 owner with trouble - I think?

Dakidd
(@dakidd)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi folks.

I'm a total newbie to 3d printers, but not even *SLIGHTLY* new to electronics in general or electromechanical stuff, so I've got a pretty good idea what to do when things don't work - most of the time, anyway.

Long story much shorter: I just took delivery of a brand new Ender 3 v2 this morning, bought directly from the Creality store. It's now assembled (only issues involved "fat fingers" struggling to get screws into a couple of tight places) and it should be ready for "Step 10 - Bed Leveling".

I've checked and rechecked all wiring/connectors - So far as I can tell, unless the plugs are mis-tagged, they're all where they belong and solidly seated. The voltage selector switch is set correctly. I've got all of the mechanicals set to roughly the center of the available range of motion. NO FILAMENT INSTALLED at this point, no USB connection, and no card in the slot. Declare assembly and setup complete, and final checks done - let's give it some power and see how things go.

Plug in and switch on. Short (a second, maybe a little more) delay, then fans start whirring, the screen lights up with the Creality logo and the "progress thermometer" appears. That finishes, and  after about 7-8 seconds, I'm looking at the "home" screen. So far, so good - No smoke, no sparks, no funny smells, no unexpected noises. But other than the fan sounds and the screen coming to life, no indication of anything at all happening. I assume that's normal behavior.

Consult the booklet on page 15, step 10 "Bed Leveling".

Dial to "Prepare". Click. 

Dial to "Auto Home". Click.

Screen switches to read

"Auto homing...

Please don't other operation"

Z-Axis jackscrew rotates approximately 4 revolutions clockwise (raising the rail the extruder is on by a bit under half an inch by "eyeball it" measurement)

Z-motion stops.

Roughly 1 second pause.

The filament feed knob spins clockwise for roughly 4 seconds, turning approximately 8 times, if I didn't lose count. Unless I miss my guess, that's going to be a "remove filament from nozzle" operation.

Nothing else happens. No changes on the screen, no movement beyond the initial half-inch upward motion of the Z-Axiz, no movement of extruder head, no movement of print plate, no further motion from filament feed knob.Fans whir, but otherwise, the machine might as well not even be plugged in.  

Maybe it's "thinking"? Leave it doing that for "a while". Give up, power off, start again after checking all connections. Identical results. Leave it for roughly 15 minutes. Still nothing. Do it again, this time letting it do whatever it's doing for half an hour or so. Come back, and nothing has changed. 

Start looking for somebody to scream *HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!* at. Find this place. Sign up, log in, and post this message. 

Advice?

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Dakidd
(@dakidd)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Waved a dead chicken over it (in the form of pull every plug, clean contacts, reconnect) and now, it's working exactly as it should. Dunno if I had a bad connection, a swapped plug (really don't think so) a mis-aligned plug, something else, or a combination of any or all of the above, but it seems that I've killed the problem. The unit is now making me what the filename claims will be a cat from the TF card that came with it. 

So far, so good, though I'll be dipped if I can *SEE* a cat in what it has printed so far! Probably shouldn't be surprised, since it's all of a quarter of an inch tall at this point. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@dakidd So, the fire had died out before the firemen arrived.

ReplyQuote
Dakidd
(@dakidd)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin

I'm assuming that, despite checking and rechecking and checking again, I must have had a plug in either the wrong socket, not lined up with the pins correctly, or not seated solid. Whatever the cause, it's definitely working now - the cat took most of 4 hours, but turned out reasonably well for a "first timer". (never mind the fact that the "toxicly-cute" level on it is so high I feel my blood-sugar spiking every time I look at it... Definitely an item destined for the "run it through the grinder" bin if/when I get around to putting together a filament recycler/extruder) 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@dakidd LOL... blood-sugar spiking. 🤣 Is not Epinephrine? 

ReplyQuote
Dakidd
(@dakidd)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin More like a desperate need for insulin... The overly sweet/cute level is nearly enough to put me into a diabetic coma!

kevin liked
ReplyQuote
Scroll Up