Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Firmware update, which file?

RSS

Topic starter

Hi,

I'm looking to update my new Ender 3 V2 firmware to the latest stable version.

I see on this page

that 6 files where uploaded in August 29, but they all have similar and confusing names.

I don't have a BLTouch sensor so I guess I should be using this one:
En Ender-3 V2_32bit_4.2.7_Firmware_Marlin-2.0.1_V1.0.1_TMC2225 

Is that right?

Also, I just went ahead and download the file, and it's a .bin. Is that a compiled version that I just need to drop on a SD card to update my printer or is it something that need to be compiled and loaded using a Arduino?

More generaly, are there any official documentation on how to update the firmware?

Thank you.

@quentin, sorry that I can't address any questions about the ender. But you may encounter issues with the SD card formatting and allocation unit size that you use. You might need to try different sizes all under FAT32. And be sure you eject the SD card, not just pull it out. 

I also recently read a warning by a successful firmware uploader for his printer, that stressed be sure to use an extractor/decompressor designed for that file type.

Maybe you already knew all this. Did not intend to sound too elementary. Just trying to be helpful.

Topic Tags
5 Answers

Already sorted, find out that I was downloading the wrong version of the firmware.

Fixed using  Ender-3 Pro_8bit_1.1.6 BL Touch Firmware_0814

Thanks anyway.

To find out which firmware file is for your printer, we need to know your mainboard version. 

the bin file "Ender-3 V2_32bit_4.2.7_Firmware_Marlin-2.0.1_V1.0.1_TMC2225 " for example, is made for V4.2.7 mainboard. 

I believe V4.2.2 should be your default mainboard if you did upgrade it. Therefore, you need to look for firmware with 4.2.2.

Also, I just went ahead and download the file, and it's a .bin. Is that a compiled version that I just need to drop on a SD card to update my printer or is it something that need to be compiled and loaded using a Arduino?

for bin file, all you need to do is format your sd card and paste the bin folder, and insert it in the printer. Let the machine read the files and do an upgrade.

Topic starter

Amazing, thank you very much.

I'll check what's my Mainboard version when my printer is done printing.
In the mean time, if the version is indeed V4.2.2, should I get
'V4.2.2-Ender-3 V2-32bit Mainboard-Marlin-2.0.1-V1.3.1-BLTouch'
Or
'Ender-3 V2_32bit_4.2.2_BLTouch_Marlin-2.0.1 – V1.1.1'
(And, out of curiosity, what's the difference between the two?)

Someone warned on Reddit that deleting DWIN_SET (as shown in the first video you linked) is breaking the firmware, are you able to confirm that?
Here is the Reddit post:

Ender 3 v2 Firmware update....or so I thought. from ender3

Thanks

@quentin V4.2.2-Ender-3 V2-32bit Mainboard-Marlin-2.0.1-V1.3.1-BLTouch'
Or
'Ender-3 V2_32bit_4.2.2_BLTouch_Marlin-2.0.1 – V1.1.1' 

the only difference between them is V 1.3.1 kind of fixed some bug of the previous version. The important part is: they are both for BL touch set up! you have to have a BL touch installed if you wanna use this firmware.

@quentin

Someone warned on Reddit that deleting DWIN_SET (as shown in the first video you linked) is breaking the firmware, are you able to confirm that?

I cannot confirm this at this moment. whatever the person in that video is following the official steps and should not be a problem. The thing is, if your current version is stable and working well, try to stick to it since there is no significant improvement by changing to a new version.

Topic starter

Hi,

I went ahead and check my Mainboard version, it was V4.2.2 indeed.

After some digging on the internet I found this page

and downloaded
Ender-3 V2_32bit_ 2.0.1V Latest Firmware_0814.rar(14 Aug, 2020)
Which had both the Mainboard firmware and the screen firmware.
Then I installed both update in the way described in the videos you link.

It all went well, didn't try printing yet but I don't expect any issue 🙂

Thank you for you help.

Scroll Up