Notifications
Clear all

Very first 3D printer

tk007b
(@tk007b)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi folks, 

I need advice please ...  I've read/seen so many mixed reviews on almost every sub £$500 3D printer out there. Most reviews on Youtube are sponsored, so even harder to get to the truth.

Can I get an honest opinion please about the reliability of the Ender3 V2 and how suitable it is for a 'complete' beginner.

Happy to listen to any, constructive, comments 🙂 

Thanks very much 

TK

This topic was modified 4 months ago by tk007b

ReplyQuote
vancha
(@vancha)
New Member Registered

well, I hope i can give you some information on the "ease of use" in the setting up part. When i get home, there's an ender 3 v2 waiting for me that i'm going to need to set up properly. From what I've gathered it's one of the better printers to be had for the money, but basically any printers in this price range are going to need some tinkering to work reliably.
I just hope "some" tinkering, isn't going to be much more than the occasional calibration and the initial setting up for halfway decent prints.

Greetings,

Vancha

ReplyQuote
tk007b
(@tk007b)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you Vancha, 

I'm probably going to go for the AnyCubic Vyper. It seems to be really good unless you get a bad one (and there is a few of those, so it's always a risk). I might be wrong and  regret it but I've been looking for weeks and weeks, so just need to make a decision. 

Good luck with your Ender3, I'll check back in with you so we can compare notes 

Cheers

TK 🙂

PS - If i was more committed, I would probably buy the Prusa i3, but that is a LOT of money 

vancha liked
ReplyQuote
vancha
(@vancha)
New Member Registered

@tk007b Cool, I'm really curious what your experiences with the anycubic are then 🙂

In the mean time, i got my printer and set it up. Setting it up was easy, but not thanks to creality. Their little description sucked (at least I thought it was less than useful), and I ended up using a really clear youtube instruction video:

After that, I noticed that before shipping the eccentric nuts that hold the bed were tightened so much that the bed wouldn't move. I turned them back a little, waited a couple of minutes, and it seemed fine. I don't think the entire setting up took more than an hour or two, and since it was my first time I was really pleasantly suprised.

My first test print was the little creality dog, with some free filament that came with the printer. I leveled the bed using a little sheet of print paper and the knobs underneath the bed, and noticed the center of the glass bed dipped in the midle. I thought about fixing it, but ended up not changing it, and apparently it did not affect the print quality too much. The test dog came out great, except I broke the print when trying to get it off the glass bed. Additionally, it looked like there were little horizontal rings on it (although barely noticable), and I tighted all the nuts and bolts in the printer to try and fix it.

The second print was the test cat, both these prints came off the sd card included with the printer itself. The first attempt ended in failure, the print came loose halfway the printing process. I forgot to clean the bed, and it had my greasy fingerprints all over it. I stopped it, cleaned the glass bed with turpentine. The next print came out perfect. No horizontal rings anymore, although I had the same issue when it was done, impossible to remove the print from the bed. I tried using the putty knife that came with the printer. I ended up scratching the glass bed.

Third,I tried changing the layer height and infill with another print (a headphone hanger meant to attach to the desk).I am really impressed with the result.For this i changed out the free filament with the cheapest pla i could find, and i could already see that the finish was better then the example filament. I did not change any settings compared to the previous print (200 degrees for the nozze, 60 degrees for the bed).

All and all I guess I got lucky with my printer, because it couldn't have been any easier. I have yet to model my own 3d model with openscad, but i'm hopeful for the result! ^^

ReplyQuote
tk007b
(@tk007b)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hey Vancha, 

Thanks so much for that detailed report on how you got on with your printer. It's really good to know that it's a lived experience, rather than a sponsored review, which always makes me hesitant.

Here's my experience ...

The printer came very quickly, I ordered it on Sunday evening and it was here Monday afternoon, so off to a good start. Upon inspection all was well barring two screws missing (out of three) for the touch screen and there was a slight tear in the ribbon cable cover but nothing too serious. The drawer magnets were the right way around (a common issue for some owners even if easily fixed)

With the AnyCubic Vyper, you get an Owl that comes with it, although, you have to copy it to the top level of the supplied SD card, otherwise it cannot see it (as it cannot open folders). I printer that without connecting it to a computer or using any fancy software and it came out pretty good (see attached)

I also printed out a XYZ Calibration Cube (from Thingiverse.com) and that printer really well, except the bottom of it had a slight lip (they call it "Elephant's foot"), I adjusted some settings reprinted and it was fine 🙂

Next thing was to use some commercial filament, I used PLA+ because I thought it was better than just PLA. It has a shiny gloss look to it when printer correctly but i had loads of failed prints initially until I got the settings just right.  On the plus side, when it went wrong, it did so immediately so not too much wasted filament and also, I have learned a lot more about Fflament settings/profiles including Nozzle and Bed temperatures. Once I got this right, however, the prints looked amazing.  My next print was something called 'Benchy' a boat from Thingiverse.com that looks nice but also tests your printers capability (also attached - although it might have overwritten my Owl pic), this cam out amazingly well. 

I have been using PrusaSlicer software, as I find it better than CuraSlicer.

Issues

- I contacted my eBay supplier but they have not responded to my request for 2 screws nor the tear in my ribbon cable. I will try to contact AnyCubic directly next and leave a bad review, if they ignore me too.

- I had to adjust my Z-Offset to 0.20, as the layers were to close together vertically and the nozzle was scrapping against the layer below.

Overall, I'm delighted with my AC Vyper. I particularly love:-

1. The Auto-levelling - You should treat yourself to the aftermarket BL-touch, I think it's called 🙂

2. The magnetic and bendable metal bed. Although if I allow the printer to cool by itself, the prints are loose to pickup (as the metal shrinks and the items just pop off the top)

3. There is a LED on the head, which allows you to see what's happening (although I start at it, like some demented caveman that's never seen a printer before)

4. The drawer is nice but at the moment, I just use the snips, so I might change it's contents (again Thingiverse.com has some alternate print layouts for the drawer)

5. The reliability/repeatability of it. If one print works, the rest will (until you change the filament)

To conclude, I am really chuffed with my choice and would not change my mind now but saying that, I thinkI would have been very happy with the Ender3 v2 (despite some really mixed reviews)... I was a click away from buying it at one point!

I hope this helps 🙂 and if i can send a DM, I will give you my email address, in case you have more questions 

Lastly, I hope you enjoy your printer, sounds like we both came out on top, which is great

😀

TK

This post was modified 4 months ago by tk007b

ReplyQuote