Notifications
Clear all

How to change filament mid print - because out of filament

csosz.imre
(@csosz-imre)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

I have not found an answer to this question anywhere so far.

I want to change the filament mit printing because the filament has run out. How can I do this?

In the case of Ender 3 Pro, there was a corresponding menu item for this: Change Filament

Best regards,
Imre Csősz

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
3nderUser
(@3nderuser)
Extruder Registered

While printing you can choose "pause" and then change filament. (with right firmware)

ReplyQuote
Axl Myk
(@axl-myk)
Heating Block Registered

With my 3 pro I use;

Pause - Preheat - Change filament

I don't want the glass bed to cool down and loosen the print while I'm fussing with the filament..

ReplyQuote
csosz.imre
(@csosz-imre)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

@axl-myk Yes, I also have Ender 3 Pro.

But Ender 3 V2 there is no "Change filament" menu item...

Best regards,
Imre Csősz

ReplyQuote
csosz.imre
(@csosz-imre)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @3nderuser

While printing you can choose "pause" and then change filament. (with right firmware)

I use Marlin 2.x firmware, but there is no change filament menu item.

What firmware should be used to have such a menu item?

Best regards,
Imre Csősz

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Hot Bed Admin

@csosz-imre The same as your ender 3pro. Pause the print and you can directly change the filament. because you can change the temperature of the nozzle manually.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by kevin

ReplyQuote
Axl Myk
(@axl-myk)
Heating Block Registered

I paused the print, then tune, then change the filament. I think that was it. Only did it once. When I went back to printing, everything was offset, so I canceled it and started over. It was at about 2mm height, so nothing lost.

Change filament seems to be available in a couple menu threads, but trying to find them is a PITA. I have used preheat, then change filament. I think it was. 🙁 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Hot Bed Admin

@csosz-imre @axl-myk I think the "pause" option in the tune setting is for changing filament.  The attached picture is what I did on ENDER3 V2. Just click pause, then the nozzle will go to the corner of the bed, pull out the white filament when the nozzle temp is still over 180/185℃ (the Nozzle is cooling down). 

Then back to the tune page, setting the temp to 200℃, change the filament. push a little hard to make sure the new filament reaches the nozzle. Last, click print to go on printing. The whole changing process takes 3 mins.

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up