Getting machine setup properly
When I assemble the Z-axis limit switch, should it be positioned so that the extruder tip is right at the top of the hotplate? I am having trouble getting the first layer to stick, and I am not sure if I have the limit positioned correctly.
Does the control use this to determine the location of the top of the hotplate?
My machine is and Ender 3 V2.
Come to find out, indeed the machine uses the switch to locate the nozzle. It really does not know where the glass is at all. Here is what I did in order to get the machine setup properly. After I did this, the first layer prints without any issues at all.
1. Level the bed. Turn the knobs and roughly compress the springs about half way. Then use a piece of paper and check the distance at all four springs.
2. Loosen the Z home switch and move it down out of the way. Lower the nozzle down to the bed using the piece of paper as a gauge.
3. Without moving the nozzle height, slide the home switch up slowly. You should hear it click as you move it up and it contacts the bottom of the horizontal framework.
4. Tighten the switch.
5. Move the nozzle up a 1/2 inch or so and HOME the machine. After it homes, check the gap between the bed and the nozzle using the piece of paper again. IF you are too high, you can use the control to move the nozzle down in small increments. This will give you an idea of how far you need to move the switch. If you are too close, you need to adjust the switch up.
6. Keep doing this until you can get the gap just right after you home it.