Notifications
Clear all

Carborundum Plate QC issues?

SputnikRSS
(@sputnikrss)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

So I have 2 Ender 3 V2s both have the glass/Carborundum/Ultrabase style beds. One bed is a gloss black and has a fairly rough texture everything sticks to it perfectly the 2nd printer i got has the same bed but it is a dull matte black and very smooth compared to the first printer. Nothing and i mean nothing sticks to this bed every print will pull off before the print is complete if it sticks at all. 

Not wanting to use the glass side and glue stick all the time I ordered replacement Creality Carborundum bed from a local retailer. Now i am going to point out i have ordered the same plate just larger from the same retailer for my Cr10S Pro V2 and it arrived gloss black and has a rough surface the thing works great just like the first V2. The new plate that just arrived for the second V2 is matte black and smooth. Guess what nothing sticks to it FFS! 

Is anyone else seeing these issues? 

I have a total of 6 carborundum/ultrabase style bases and the 4 that work are Gloss black and have a decent rough texture the 2 that don't are a matte black and pretty much smooth. Easy way to check i have found is to drag your finger nail across the plate if it looks like a white film is being left behind those are the faulty plates. No marks are left behind on the good plates.

and before we start heading into the usual re-level your bed discussion swapping the beds between the printers fixes the issue 100% of the time. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@sputnikrss It should not be that smooth. Where did you buy the 2 that are pretty much smooth?

ReplyQuote
SputnikRSS
(@sputnikrss)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin

The second V2 was an amazon return and it came with the bed being smooth (I assume that's why it was returned as nothing stuck to it) it is the stock bed with ender logo on it. The replacement bed was bought at a Spool3D out of Calgary the replacement bed says creality on it. They look like the other beds I have black with small circles etc but they are just matte in appearance and are much smoother to the touch.

The attached picture shows the matte bed on top of a normal bed.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@sputnikrss I got many glass build plate, some of them are ENDER logo on it and some are Creality logo on it. That is not important. The key point is each bed has a black coating, with small circles like you said. When I touch the surface, I can feel there is a coating, not the feeling like bare glass.

So I am not sure that you said "much smoother" is how smoother, If it feels like bare glass without black coating, then that should be a bad build plate as it can not stick anything.

ReplyQuote