Notifications
Clear all

Cura plugin to "test fit" model to use the least amount of filament?

tundrwd
(@tundrwd)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Just wondering, as I forgot to change my print.  I should have re-oriented one of the .stl files to use less filament.  I'm getting the hang of it, but made me wonder if there is a Cura plugin that would re-orient a model to determine the best orientation to use the least amount of filament, etc.

Or - would re-orient to better create the automated supports, etc.

Any plugin(s) like that for Cura?

ReplyQuote
校工叔叔(Mr. Au)
(@nice)

I am not aware of such plugin, but there are tons of plugins for Cura and I don't know every single of them.

No matter how you position the model, it will use the same amount of filament.  What makes the differences in terms of filament is when the model need supports.  Ideally, we should always position the model so no supports is needed at all.  However there are some exceptions, for example if we need the strength of the model.  It had to be print it in certain way to maximum the strength even if it require supports.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@tundrwd In my mind, the less support you have, the less material you need to use. So there is a plugin called Auto-Orientation, it will help you find the best placement direction that need supports  as little as possible.

ReplyQuote
tundrwd
(@tundrwd)
Topic starter  

@kevin

I agree - plus less clean up afterwards.  Sorry - I've been unable to login for days, and even now, most of the login page is in Chinese.

Anyway, I did find the auto-orient plugin for Cura, installed it.  So far, just 2-3 prints, but seems to get orientation "right".

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@tundrwd Our login page had some issues yesterday. How about now? Is there still in Chinese?

ReplyQuote