Notifications
Clear all

Error writing to EEPROM!

Page 1 / 2

chrisjc610
Registered
Topic starter
(@chrisjc610)

first time using this service. i'm not sure if i'm missing something or it's an issue with tonight's build or what.

i have formatted and reflashed with two different sd cards, one 512mb and one 8gb. both have the same issue and formatted as fat32. both have worked for this printer in the past, storing eeprom appropriately. 

m503 shows it reads the flashed defaults. m502 respond ok P15B3. m500 is a deluge of "echo:Error writing to EEPROM!".

i've initialized the eeprom through the lcd, restored and saved that way and rebooted and still no. i unplugged my sd card extender and slotted the card directly because that was a new part and i thought it might be the culprit; nope. both cards, same firmware (options off the builder; bltouch, ubl, baby stepping, sd card supported was checked, nothing extravagant).

the lcd menu chirps like it stores it. no error. it doesn't save anything though, one reboot clears any changes. 

did i miss an option to emulate eeprom on the sd card? i figured that's what "sd card support" was partially for. i did not see a specific option for this. 

please help, i wanted to pay you all to take firmware problems off my hands. ?

11 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Estimable Member

It could well be because of this fix: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/commit/cc3e878f90b38bcd9116c1b4e8ff31a4209299e9

Are you able to build again and see if the issues are resolved?

4 Replies
chrisjc610
Registered
(@chrisjc610)

@marlin-firmware-service

sorry, i initially replied to the last comment instead of this one. new here. ? 

Posted by: @marlin-firmware-service

It could well be because of this fix: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/commit/cc3e878f90b38bcd9116c1b4e8ff31a4209299e9

Are you able to build again and see if the issues are resolved?

i rebuilt (at 12pm eastern) and reflashed just now and i'm still having the same issue. i didn't try both cards because i only had a couple minutes (work day) but both cards worked on previous firmware so i don't think they're the problem.

i'm still holding out hope it's some recent bugfix attempt. i'm really not sure what else it could be. it's only happening with firmware i got from marlin.crc.id.au. my 'old' firmware is a few weeks out of date 2.0 bugfix branch and worked so it's got to be something fairly recent caus

follow up @ ~5

seems worth noting, the sd cards contain the .cur file after flashing. i would assume that means it *can* write to the sd card just fine. it can also see gcode files on the card so i assume it reads fine too.

i also flashed to my 'old' firmware just to double check and all works as normal. eeprom loads, saves and loads again no problem on the same two cards. i would think that narrows it down to certainly firmware related.

Marlin Firmware Service

Estimable Member

@chrisjc610 Which printer are you using?

Is this the nightly builds or via the builder?

chrisjc610
Registered
(@chrisjc610)

@marlin-firmware-service ender 3 pro with an skr 2.0 board, bltouch and stock everything else. 

i used the builder to output the .bin. i had a bed crash with the precompiled bltouch for that make and board so i decided to give the builder a shot. the bltouch and homing/movement all works great with the builder output, the *only* problem is this eeprom issue.

chrisjc610
Registered
(@chrisjc610)

@marlin-firmware-service 

update: i had some time today so i rewired the bltouch to use the probe socket only (was previously on the z endstop) and grabbed the default firmware provided (no builder).

i flashed it with that and i get the same issue. m502 ok but m500 is all error writing to eeprom. so to answer your question more thoroughly; both. 

yet eeprom works fine with marlin-bugfix-2.0.x branch from 14feb2021 on the firmware i previously used that i compiled myself.

jmartens1114
Registered
(@jmartens1114)

Hi,

I might not be the right person to help you but I think if you explained the routine you used to flash the eeprom might help. I personally just learned the  way it works for my setup

Most people say use a 2 gig card flashed to fat32. Turn your power off

insert the flash card in the unit and then power on. The screen should boot but have no content for a short period of time. That is when I believe it’s flashing the firmware. It should boot up with the changed firmware.

mkkm
 mkkm
Registered
(@mkkm)

I confirm the problem with writing to EEPROM.
Ender 3, SKR mini E3 V2.
Software downloaded from "https://marlin.crc.id.au/" both ".bin" and "custo firmware builder" files.
Defective software is date: 16/03/2021, 17/03/2021.
Returning to the software from 15/03/2021 restores full functionality.
The self-built firmware (Visual Studio Code, Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x) today also does not save the settings to EEPROM, both from the terminal and the LCD menu. 
Returning to the software on 15/03/2021 returns to full functionality.

1 Reply
Marlin Firmware Service

Estimable Member

@mkkm Thanks for tracking this down to a date range - its been a tough few days to be able to chase this...

Lets see what I can turn up...

telco
Registered
(@telco)

I just flashed the SKR-Mini-E3-v2-BLTouch-20210303.bin I haven't found an eeprom fault yet. I did notice that the BLTouch doesn't work or bed leveling both do nothing but that is an old build. I will look for a new fresh build tomorrow.   Thanks

Page 1 / 2