Notifications
Clear all

Ender 3 v1.1.4 (standard board) + bltouch + sdcard + new dimensions

kingkrumble
Registered
Topic starter
(@kingkrumble)
Nozzle

So recently I've upgraded my ender 3 using the extension kit.

This means I need to update the firmware so that the bed is 400*400*490 (width*depth*height)

I also need to include the sd card reader and a bltouch with bed levelling.

whenever I use the firmware builder for some reason it fails, but if I go to and download one of the Daily build supported feature sets: for the Ender 3 and the bltouch+sd+autolevel it works (without the dimensions required) 

which shows what I want is possible just I can't for the life of me figure what I'm doing wrong

This is the configuration I've inputted 

Printer options:

xbed size:400

ybed size:400

zbed sixe:490

additional features:

bltouch - use Z-stop port for probe

unified bed levelling

sd card support

shown in image

and I haven't touched anything else as I can't/ don't need to  change the  stepper config nor the temperature settings

but if i change the dimensions, and for bed levelling probe select bltouch (without touching any settings for the bed levelling section) the printer will go to the centre of the bed (recognising the new size)and find the z endstop using the bltouch (showing the bltouch works also) but it ignores the gcode G29 (auto bed levelling) and goes straight to printing. 

showing that it probably is an issue with the bed levelling section? or I've got something wrong?

5 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Stepper Motor

Thanks for the post.

I can see that this firmware is being built for the original 8-bit Ender 3 mainboard - but the options selected make it just too big for the EEPROM on the board.

In this case, its 37960 bytes too big - which is quite a lot... You could try turning off SD card support if you use Octoprint, and maybe try the different leveling options to see if you can reduce the size to fit on that boards EEPROM.

An easier way would be to try look at getting a v4.2.7 control board and replace your 8 bit board with that.

I will look at seeing if I can apply any further tweaks to that specific board type - but its always been a challenge to get things to fit on that board.

1 Reply
kingkrumble
Registered
(@kingkrumble)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service

Would upgrading to the v4.2.7 board be easy firmware wise? I know how to upgrade the boards and do the wires ect. I always struggle with firmware.

(I don't know much about eeprom) but this board supports sd card, bltouch and auto leveling on the normal size ender 3. (this is what I had in the past)

Because the increased size does this take up more storage? Although it still is only doing a 3*3 grid?

Marlin Firmware Service
Stepper Motor

I've just done a couple of things:

1) Corrected that the errors for firmware over the size of the boards EEPROM now get shown in the builder.

2) Built a firmware with your config - but changed:

* Enabled: Use Probe for Z homing (you probably want this!)
* Changed to Bilinear Bed Levelling
* Enabled: Add LCD Leveling menu
* Disabled: SD Card support

That does build ok - but it doesn't look like UBL will fit in the EEPROM size available on the 8 bit boards.

1 Reply
kingkrumble
Registered
(@kingkrumble)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service

thank you for fixing point 1. that helps a tonne aha

it seems that I have no choice but to upgrade the mainboard to a v4.2.7 (this might be something I upgrade in the future as the printer is working perfectly fine with the smaller dimensioned firmware as the bed/ prints currently seem fine. just wanted to do it properly XD but I guess don't fiddle with something if it works)

Marlin Firmware Service
Stepper Motor

The 8 bit boards can work well - especially if you don't mind missing out on a few extras - like the SD Card and you can print via USB.

Otherwise, yeah - the upgrade to a v4.2.7 board will give you a lot more flexibility...

Scroll Up