Forum

Does the firmware b…

Notifications
Clear all

Does the firmware builder use the same base options as the canned builds?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
EnderTiberius
Topic starter
(@endertiberius)

If you use the firmware builder to configure firmware for an Ender 3 V2 for example, does it include everything listed on the Ender 3 V2 stock page?

• Adds G2 / G3 Arc support
  • Adds G10 / G11 Firmware based retraction (Use M207, M208, M209 to configure)
  • Adds M600 – Filament Change
  • Adds M603 – Set Filament Load / Unload length
  • Adds M701 – Load Filament
  • Adds M702 – Unload Filament
  • Enabled Advanced OK
  • Enabled CLASSIC_JERK
  • Enabled S_CURVE_ACCELERATION
  • Enabled Smart Filament Runout Sensor (Add M412 S0 in your Start G-Code if you do not have a filament sensor).
  • Uses hardware EEPROM, not emulated on SD Card.

I’m just trying to double check if I’m starting from the same base if I use the firmware builder.

4 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Pushing electrons in (hopefully) the right direction

No. The builder begins with the stock configuration for the printer selected. Then depending on what options you select will determine the final configuration before building.

EnderTiberius
Topic starter
(@endertiberius)

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling that was the case, and not all of the features set on the nightly build page are options in the firmware builder.

Would you prefer if I entered each item as their own feature request on the feature request topic, do one larger request on that topic, or just good enough to say that I’d like to be able to turn on any option available in a nightly build through the firmware builder here? 

1 Reply
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)

Pushing electrons in (hopefully) the right direction

@endertiberius That’s kind of difficult – as internally, the builder sets groups of options based off which features you set.

As an example, if you set a BLTouch as enabled, it will also enable things like grid probe size, Z_SAFE_HOMING etc etc etc

As this is the case, a 1:1 mapping doesn’t really work – however you can get VERY close.

Just to complicate things, the Builder also sets options depending on the mainboard type, as well as allowing overrides in cases like the CR-10 V3 – which doesn’t have an official config file in the Marlin repos.

EnderTiberius
Topic starter
(@endertiberius)

If you’ve identified a group of options as useful/appropriate for the nightly builds, wouldn’t it make sense to include them in the builder though? It wouldn’t have to mean that each one could be toggled on/off; however, one or more groups in whatever way they fit together would be nice.

It just seems like a really weird disconnect that you can’t start from what’s been identified as a good base for the nightly builds and adjust for upgrades on your system from there.