Clear all

custom build with non smart filament sensor for Ender 3 V2 doesn't work

Arnorenee
Registered
Topic starter
(@arnorenee)
Nozzle

Hi,

Because I have no smart filament sensors but only non-smart ones, I have build a custom firmware for my Ender 3 V2. (with bl-touch)

Now the extruder doesn't work and the home isn't in the middle. Also the filament sensor doesn't stop the print.

Can you please advise me what to do?

it's build: C0D84B12-5382-11EB-901B-6C0544A37987

Arno

11 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Stepper Motor

Make sure your extruder temperature is above the cutoff before trying to move it.

The filament sensor needs to be turned on via M412 S1 in your start gcode before it does anything.

As for homing, you'd need to adjust the probe offset via the M851 command.

Arnorenee
Registered
Topic starter
(@arnorenee)
Nozzle

Ok, homing adjusted, filament sensor turned on.

Extruder still doesn't extrude during printing. (the temp is normal 210 degrees) I can turn the blue knob by hand, the motor isn't activated.

Now about the filament sensor. When I remove the filament from the sensor, the printer freezes. When I put filament back in the sensor the printer comes back online again.

The behavior of the sensor is the same as in your standard firmware when the filament sensor is turned on. Ender 3 - v4.2.2 Board - BLTouch (which has the smart sensor)

8 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service

Stepper Motor

@arnorenee I haven't done much with the non-smart filament sensors - and I can't say I recommend them.

I'd suggest maybe posting on the Ender 3 v2 Facebook group - as there may well be others that use a non-smart sensor that may be able to help.

Arnorenee
Registered
(@arnorenee)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service

But the custom build firmware doesn't function right:

Extruder still doesn't extrude during printing. (the temp is normal 210 degrees) I can turn the blue knob by hand, the motor isn't activated.

Marlin Firmware Service

Stepper Motor

@arnorenee That might well be the case. It's not going to try to extrude if it thinks its out of filament.

You could try to disable the filament sensor via M412 S0 and see if it will extrude then?

Arnorenee
Registered
(@arnorenee)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service I know, when I found out the filament sensor didn't worked I disabled the sensor with M412 S0. But after getting the hotend at 210 degrees and started a print, the head and bed move but the extruder doesn't extrude.

What can it be?

Marlin Firmware Service

Stepper Motor

@arnorenee My first thought would be a cabling problem - but you'd need to start from basics to troubleshoot. If the motor tries to turn but doesn't, it could be a hotend clog or something along those lines.

It's likely not a firmware issue at that point if the printer is looking like it should work in all other aspects.

I'd suggest the Ender 3 V2 Facebook community group - as there's over 10,000 members there which would be able to step you through things step by step if needed.

Link:>

Marlin Firmware Service

Stepper Motor

Doesn't look like the link is displaying in the post - so its here:

Arnorenee
Registered
(@arnorenee)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service

Hmm, M502 after firmware update is sometimes a must, it seems.

Now the extruder works!

Marlin Firmware Service

Stepper Motor

@arnorenee How strange. To be honest, I have seen weird issues like that before - but not for a while - so I didn't think of it.

I guess its much more of an unknown if you're going from a different provider of firmware - maybe it should become a standard step!

Arnorenee
Registered
Topic starter
(@arnorenee)
Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service Yes, I knew it also, but forgot it.

Ah yeah, maybe it is indeed wise to add it to the firmware page as standard step. Certainly for the new people.

Thanks! Arno

Scroll Up