Notifications
Clear all

Buf Size Increase Ender 3 V2

Cancklehead
Registered
Topic starter
(@cancklehead)
Nozzle

It's been a known problem that the buffer size for the USB is set too low for it to properly handle the data flow for Octoprint. Is it possible to up the stock setting from 4 to 16 or 32 on the custom builds? That'd be great.

Thanks for any help.

Topic Tags
4 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Stepper Motor

This doesn't actually fix the problem. I've done extensive testing, and just blindly increasing the buffer size has other effects.

For OctoPrint, the best solution is to install the ArcWelder plugin. This plugin replaces the linear points in a curve with a single ARC command that the printer uses.

Eventually, ARC support may make it into our slicers, and this whole thing becomes a problem of the past - but until then, the best solution is ArcWelder.

3 Replies
Cancklehead
Registered
(@cancklehead)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if I posted this in the right forum even. 

I've been using ArcWelder, but it hasn't solved the problem with stalling and zits. In fact it has been the source of stalling, I've found. While printing a flawless vase that was 80% finished, I uploaded my next print to octoprint, and while arcweld was chugging away doing it's calculations, the nozzle stopped moving producing a huge blob, with under-extrusion to follow. 

Does it not need more than 4mb buffer? Does the SD card not have 16? My SD prints are totally blob free, but Octoprint is a mess if I use plugins that use processor power...

Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)

Stepper Motor

@cancklehead ArcWelder should never start to process a file whilst you have a print in progress.

If this is the case, you should lodge a bug report with the author.

Cancklehead
Registered
(@cancklehead)

Nozzle

@marlin-firmware-service

Well, arc weld actually will run while printing, so I guess this is a bug? 

I'm new to this and have not a clue how to lodge a bug report. 

It's not the only plugin that gives Octoprint the stutters though. 

I really like your service and find it cool to create custom firmware that I know will work, unlike when I do it myself. 😉

There has to be the capacity to bump up the usb buffer to at least 16 like the sd card, don't you think? 

Scroll Up