Notifications
Clear all

Increase of baudrate and buffer size for printing with OctoPrint on Ender 3V2

Arc86
Registered
Topic starter
(@arc86)
Nozzle

Hi there, Is it possible to increase the baudrate & buffersize (or put it in the custom firmware tool.) 

I run into a issues on Octoprint with Cura 4.8 on rounded corners, it very much looks like the serial connection can't keep up with the data rate so it starts to jitter resulting in blobs on the corners. 

I've read a lot about this issue and typically this happens on 8 bit boards, the solution was to increase buffer size and baudrate to 250k. Running the Gcode from an SD cards works without issues. That's why I would like to increase the bandwith. 

Thanks for the amazing service! 

2 Replies
Marlin Firmware Service
(@marlin-firmware-service)
Stepper Motor

I believe that there's issues with screen communication after doing this...

The better fix is to install the ArcWelder plugin for Octoprint. All my firmwares support ARC moves - which replaces thousands of smaller 0.05mm straight lines with a true curve.

This fixes the issue properly on both 8bit and 32bit boards - as once you get to higher print speeds, even 250k is not enough to keep 0.05mm resolution curves smooth.

I should note for others that come across this report - this only affects printing via the USB connector on the printer. It will not affect the quality of prints from SD Card.

Arc86
Registered
Topic starter
(@arc86)
Nozzle

Thanks for your reply, I've heared about the issues with the baudrate and the screen. There is a workaround, however I agree it's better to solve this with a plugin for Octoprint.

I'll try that, thanks! 

Scroll Up