Clear all

What Version of BLTouch works with Ender-6

Page 1 / 3

reson8
(@reson8)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I purchased an Ender-6 a couple of months ago and have been trying to buy a BLTouch sensor that works with this model. 

I have no problem in extending cables or even building new end plugs if required.

I've asked Creality directly what the answer to this question is and not had a reply. All the ebay ads indicate the bltouch sensor they are selling works for everything BUT the Ender-6. 

The printer works great but its a hassle having to level the bed manually every print job.

Could you please advise what the go is here? Your help would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)
Cooling Fan Registered

@reson8That's a really good question. This is the one I bought;

Yes it is a cheap knock-off, but yes, it works perfectly well. I don't know it matters which version.

The cable attached has the black ends, and the longer cable has the white end for the breakout board at the back right of the printer. Those black ends are both female connectors, so I used some small stripped solid core wire to make pins. Cut the pins to the right length, make sure the wire colors match up, plug it all together and I used a big of electrical tape to keep them from coming apart. Install the BLTouch firmware for the Ender6 and things just worked. Oh, and the screws supplied didn't work for me so I had to find my own.

I think the reason they say others won't work with the Ender6 is simply because of the wire ends. They will all, I think, mount right into the hot end enclosure without issue.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Harkon

ReplyQuote
reson8
(@reson8)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

@harkon

That's great news! Thank you, @harkon

This makes a lot of sense. I have seen a couple youtube clips showing a bltouch install on an ender-6 and they both modified the wiring. No big deal. 

Once again. Thank you.

Now to place my order!

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)
Cooling Fan Registered

@reson8

No sweat at all.

I just installed a Micro Swiss all metal hot end, and the BL touch probe drags. Close enough that it will tear the print off of the bed. So, I cut the probe down just a bit and filed it smooth. Works very well again.

Heads up if you decide to change your hot end. I did so because I wanted to start printing PETG as well.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

Does anybody know if all/any Creality upgraded BL-Touch versions will be compatible with the Ender 6?

Also, the photos always seem to conceal the connectors so for a newby like me, it's pretty confusing.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

Well, my BLTouch just arrived and it looks like I lucked out with the connectors. It looks like it is a genuine Creality bundle but not customised for the Ender 6 so I need to either acquire the correct cable or the correct connector  but in either case, I'm having little luck in finding the right product.

Is there a specific nomenclature for the connector type?

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)
Cooling Fan Registered

@okulo

What do all of the cable ends look like. Mine was very similar and the fix it really easy.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

The other end fits into the BLTouch and seems to fit into the slot on the logic board. I think I identified them as JST 1.25. I found some made up sets on eBy so hopefully, I will be able to take one apart and repurpose it.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

The connector sets arrived but having pulled the pins on them, I can see that they would not survive re-use so I found some in on eBay which look very similar but they will have to come from China. In the meantime, I'll solder one of the connector sets to the cable which was provided at some point when I have a quiet moment - my eyesight and nerve with stuff so small won't tolerate distractions.

On a side note, before I ordered the connector sets, I contacted Creality about acquiring the appropriate cable and they said that they have nothing to do with such things which makes me wonder who is bundling the Creality/BLTouch kits.

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)
Cooling Fan Registered

Here's what I looked for. As noted above, the one I purchased was pretty generic and was the least expensive unit I could find on Amazon that also had a "cable installation kit. This is essentially a longer version of the cable that comes attached with the unit. I relied heavily on the pictures for this, but it had 2 of the type of ends I needed. When I got it I thought it would be a simple matter of cutting off the black connectors in the picture I posted above, and just soldering and heat shrink and I would be good to go. It was even easier than that. The sockets in the black connectors are almost perfectly sized for some solid #22AWG or #20AWG wire. I had some solid buss wire in a spool in my shop so I cut a couple of short lengths a couple of cm long and used those as pins to collect them all together, end to end. I used a bit of electricians tape to hold it all together and keep it from coming apart, and it has been working perfectly ever since.

The key, for me, was to make sure the kit I got had the correct end connectors, and they are both identical, for this printer. The same end that plugs into the BLTouch is the connector style that plugs into the printer breakout board.

Good luck with your connectors. If possible get the connectors with wires already attached. Those crimp connectors are going to be very hit and miss without a proper crimper. It's not impossible, but having spent my entire career in electronics, it would be a last resort for me. I am too old for such fine work, and vision and hands not what they were when I was a young man 😉

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

With an eye on the possibility of selling things at some point, I try to avoid unnecessary damage so I removed the pins from the housing of the unwanted connectors but kept them connected to the wires and pushed the loose ends of the wires from the connectors I bought into the pins and put heat shrink on each to hold them securely. This is just a temporary fix until the new connector pins arrive from China.

I installed the firmware and everything seems okay - the printer has done its measuring routine but it seems to have a new idea where home it. Previously, home was at the extruder corner but now it seems to be in the centre of the print bed which is awkward for preparing the bed with adhesive before printing and probably removing completed prints.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

Oh well, that was a bit of a failure!

I just tried my first print and after doing about half of its tests, the red light just flashes for a while and it stops and says that the print is finished. I tried twice - after that I tried the measuring routine again but it stopped on position 9 with the red led flashing with no exit from the levelling routine.

I rebooted the printer and now it doesn't even get to position one

The fact that it managed to perform the routine the first time tells me that the connections are correct.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

Ok, I gave the logic board connector a push/jiggle and tried again which seems to have sorted the flashing red hanging problem but when I tried another print, after the levelling routine, the printer was printing a few millimetres off the bed. I set the bed level manually thinking that it probably needed some benchmark to work from and then did the measuring routine again but the same thing happened - just printing in mid-air.

The instructions which came with the BLTouch don't seem to resemble anything to do with the Ender 6.

As I was typing. I was trying another levelling and the red LED started flashing again. I'm going to hang up my enthusiasm for the night.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
BL Touch Registered

Frustratingly, I think I have figured out what the lack of instructions omitted - Z-axis adjustment - but it's too late to fire it up without waking somebody up so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
LCD Sreen Admin

@okulo Actually, it is very easy, check your mainboard version first. If you are a V4 board, then buy the BLT kits for Ender3v2, which is 5 pins connector. If you are V1 or V2 board, then you need to buy the BLT 2+3 pins with an adpater.

Just be careful for what version of firmware you flash.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Scroll Up