Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pause/Change Filament

tangerine
(@tangerine)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have been experimenting with doing multicolour prints by adding Post-Processing Scripts in Cura.

Extensions > Post-Processing > Modify G-Code

The results have not been good. When I inserted a number of Pause at Height scripts (following an old YouTube video), only the first one was recognised and the printer head moved to home for about two seconds and then resumed printing.

I then tried Filament Change (following the video step-by-step, I didn't see this in the list!) and as the tool tip suggested, inserted three layer positions which I calculated from the desired height divided by layer height and separated them with commas. This time, the printer did not stop at all at the first position (layer 2) so in order not to waste the print, I cobbled together the pauses manually by guessing the best time and had to manually retract and advance the filament.

I'm assuming that if much older printers can do this, the Ender 6 should be able to understand the Cura script. Has anybody any insight, please?

ReplyQuote
Last Ender Bender
(@last-ender-bender)
Active Member Registered

@tangerine

Also interested in the answer to this question!

A theory: The compatibility with Ender 6? To use Cura I had to use the Ender 5 profile but modified it.. Could it be that the post-processing G-codes need some alterations to work with Ender 6?

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

I found instructions on how to create an Ender 6 profile for the Mac version of Cura which I have been using since I bought it. I would upload the files but I didn't have anything to do with their creation. The thread I got them from is here:

https://forum.creality.com/topic/1493/ender-6-in-cura-4-8-0-possible-solution

ReplyQuote
校工叔叔(Mr. Au)
(@nice)
Eminent Member Registered

I also want to play around with filament change feature.  Base on my research, I find the following information.

This feature lives in the firmware.  I think all Creality printer's firmware are based on Marlin.  There are Marlin 1.x and 2.x versions.  In order to use filament change feature, Marlin 2.0 is require.  However, it seems like this feature is not turn on by default.

So, the prerequisite to do filament as follow..

Marlin 2.0

Filament change enable

Cura > Extensions > Post Processing  > Modify Gcode > Add script > Filament change

So far I tried it on the 3 Creality printers that I have access to.  Ender 5, Ender 5+, Ender3Max, I only able to get filament change to work on Ender 5(with silent board upgrade).

Note that the filament change command is M600.  Run this command via terminal to see how your printer behave then you can tell if yours support filament change.

more discussion about it..

I brought up this question at last week's Creality livestream

The discussion starts at about 25min of this livestream.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned, I already tried Modify Gcode > Filament Change (4th paragraph). Using terminal isn't really a possibility just yet.

Your reply has a big gap before 'The discussion starts at about 25min of this livestream' where a video might be but I can't actually see anything.

ReplyQuote
校工叔叔(Mr. Au)
(@nice)
Eminent Member Registered

Posted by: @tangerine

Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned, I already tried Modify Gcode > Filament Change (4th paragraph). Using terminal isn't really a possibility just yet.

Your reply has a big gap before 'The discussion starts at about 25min of this livestream' where a video might be but I can't actually see anything.

It's a facebook livestream.  You might have to logon to view the stream, or you network might be blocking facebook?

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

I don't use Facebook so I couldn't log in anyway.

You can see what I can see in the enclosed image.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

Ah! I found your link by clicking 'Quote' on your reply.

Funny, I disabled anything which blocks content trying to see the video.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

Okay, I finally watched it, thanks. I'm glad that there is some interest in users' input. I'm not really at a level where I feel comfortable messing around with firmware when the supplier of both my printer and BLTouch says that not using the firmware they provided for BLTouch will void my warranty.

ReplyQuote
Last Ender Bender
(@last-ender-bender)
Active Member Registered

@tangerine

I did a manual solution. Not fancy but it will do the trick if you know approx. when you want to change the filament (PLA).

When printing there is an option to pause the print on the printer display. I did this and had the other filament prepared. The change itself took just a few seconds and then manually set the nozzle heat to melt the filament before you resume the print. Let the old color ooze out a bit of the nozzle. The result is attached. But I understand that it does not solve your question with Gcode.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

That's pretty much what I have ended up doing, really. It works but means that with anything remotely ambitious, I either have to watch the whole print or set crudely timed alarms to remind me.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

Okay, so I asked the suppliers of my Ender 6 (and BLTouch) about this and they said that 'advanced pause feature is not currently supported the [Ender 6] firmware in its current state'. 

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

It's been a while since I have been on here mainly due to studying (an entirely different subject) but I was just trying to design a little tool and needed to be able to pause at height to insert a tiny magnet and wondered if there had been any progress with this.

I couldn't actually remember what the Ender 6 did when the code was inserted so just tried it and the print head moved to one side for a moment and the build plate was lowered a few cms but it immediately resumed printing again.

I'm pretty disappointed that what is seemingly such a simple operation seems to be beyond one of the latest Ender models and as far as I am aware, it looks like nobody at Ender seems to care about their products once they are launched. No doubt in a year or so, the excuse will be that the Ender 6 is no longer supported.

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)

Hey Tangerine,

I've been away for a while as well. The pause and resume thing threw me for a loop as well.

I use Cura and choose post processing, modify G-Code and add script, pause at height. Then just fill in the parameters you want. For instance it add this at the end of layer 14 so I can change filament color;

;TYPE:CUSTOM
;added code by post processing
;script: PauseAtHeight.py
;current layer: 15
M83 ; switch to relative E values for any needed retraction
G1 F300 Z4.2 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
G1 F9000 X190 Y10
G1 F300 Z15 ; too close to bed--move to at least 15mm
M104 S210 ; standby temperature
M0 ; Do the actual pause
M109 S210 ; resume temperature
G1 F300 Z4.2
G1 F9000 X98.622 Y162.782
G1 F300 Z3.2 ; move back down to resume height
G1 F2700 ; restore extrusion feedrate
M82 ; switch back to absolute E values
G92 E593.45016
;LAYER:15

at the resume it goes back to where it left off. Works pretty well.

I use OctoPrint and use the resume function there. I don't know how this works printing from flash.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Topic starter  

Sorry for not replying earlier but I don't seem to be getting e-mail notifications anymore.

I tried using the modify G-Code option but when I printed, the printer paused, moved the head to the home position for a second and then resumed printing.

I suppose I could hit pause at that point but I would have to be around to do so and not knowing exactly when it would happen would mean a lot of hanging around watching.

ReplyQuote