Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Filament extruder

Daintree
(@daintree)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I’m a noob and am getting a clicking sound from the gear wheel on left side when I try and feed filament. Am I correct in assuming the screw on the spring needs adjusting? If so which way should I do it tighten or loosen.

Filament extrudes from the nozzle ok when it starts the knocking noise starts about 1 min into printing

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Daintree

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@daintree If the filament came out from the nozzle smoothly, there should not be an issue with the extruder. But you can try to loosen it a little. Please also check if there is scrap in the guide wheel. It may cause a slip.

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)
Trusted Member Registered

Is the clicking sound repetitive, like at equal intervals, or is it more random than that. Go to youtube and search for extruder problems. If your extruder is stalling, then the feedrate is too high or you have a partial clog. You will know it stalled as it will jump into backwards very quickly when it does. If you extrude into air, does the filament come out all twisty, or does it come out clean and straight? If nothing else, nozzles are cheap, just replace it and start fresh.

If it clicks the same place every rotation, then it's mechanical, and the extruder may require a looking at.

kevin liked
ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)

Probably of no help whatsoever but I had an annoying irregular clicking and being a bit hypersensitive to noise, especially unexplained noise, started to worry. I checked all the way from the filament sensor and extruder to the print head but couldn't figure it out. I eventually realised that it was the filament tugging on the filament spool (which created a bit of slack which rattled on the spool) and the spool jerking and tapping against the side of the enclosure. The way the printer is positioned on my desk, the filament spool is hidden behind a monitor. I put a piece of foam on the filament holder to make sure there is a gap.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)

I just noticed a loud snapping noise part way through a pretty big print. It was the filament reel jerking quite intensely. I looked at the filament and realised that the filament was being drawn from under a few other turns of filament. Whilst the printer was still printing, I took the reel off and carefully unwound it trying to cancel the turns as I did so and went through three rooms trying to keep it tidy looking for the point where the problem started and found that at some point as it was being wound, it had got tangled up and I had to pass the reel through about seven loops to untangle it and then wind about 30m back onto the reel. The printer didn't seem to notice so all was okay and I think that the years of experience I got working with rope on ships and boats helped a lot.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@tangerine  You are lucky to have caught this in time. I have failed to print several times because of this.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)

@kevin I was about 2m from disaster!

ReplyQuote
NerdNational
(@nerdnational)
Active Member Registered

i get the same issue but my extruder will just stop working than start working i am assuming that it isnt feeding correctly at certain parts of the print due to the drive so i am looking at away to replace the drive now

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)

@nerdnational

That would be pretty odd. These things generally work or they don't. Double check to make sure all of the wiring is solid and firmly seated for starters.

ReplyQuote
draco
(@draco)
New Member Registered

@daintree  Hi You will get this when the nozzle clogs, what filament are you using and what settings? Try 200 nozzle and clean it first(while it is hot) is the print ok?, lots to try as there are a lot of things that affect the material flow

Good luck

ReplyQuote
draco
(@draco)
New Member Registered

@daintree  Hi You will get this when the nozzle clogs, what filament are you using and what settings? Try 200 nozzle and clean it first(while it is hot) is the print ok?, lots to try as there are a lot of things that affect the material flow

Good luck

ReplyQuote
draco
(@draco)
New Member Registered

@nerdnational  Hi I am having some issues, these i have traced down to yje black connector on the breakout bord at the rear top of the machine, the connector is not good enough and i was getting intermittent problems with heating and motors, just a thought may save you some dosh

ReplyQuote