Notifications
Clear all

Ender 6 Firmware V1.0.4.9 BL Touch, locks and hangs the 3D printer

gusevargas
(@gusevargas)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Observed errors: 

1- After the BL Touch firmware is installed, the printer attempts to home itself. By moving all the way down the Z axis (bottom of the printer), and crashing at the bottom 

2- After cycling power, the BL Touch sensor operates and the Z axis moves upward to trigger the BL touch sensor. And the home screen appears.

3- Once the proper offset is selected the homing sequence initiates again. and show proper operation, and once the "Measurement" option is selected, the system starts probing the table, to fail on position 16 or 17, and hangs there.

4- Cycle power does not recover the system.

5- Only recovery is to download the previous Firmware Version and attempt the same sequence all over again.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)
Trusted Member Registered

It doesn't look like you are getting any help with this. Did you find a solution?

I don't have a BLTouch nor much experience with 3D printers but I looked into the BLTouch before ordering one (not arrived yet) and was a bit fazed by the uncertainty of which firmware works etc.

I hope you get it sorted out.

ReplyQuote
gusevargas
(@gusevargas)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@okulo,

it doesn’t surprise me about the lack of response. These forums IMHO are the equivalent of support by Braille.

After doing a lot of searching, I ended up upgrading to Klipper and OctoPrint. Not only the Klipper documentation is significantly better, but it actually makes the Creality hardware run better.

In the Klipper documentation, they reference that the BLTouch version 3.1 uses 5 Vdc, so it is necessary to configure the output pins on the Creality Board as “Open Drain.” Something I couldn’t setup or change on the Ender 6 firmware, since they haven’t release the source code.

Also the documentation shows that the BLTouch has a grub screw at its top, which allows adjustment of the magnetic holding force that holds the probe, and makes it easier for the sensor to release.

So ingot it figure out, all it took is replacing the existing Creality firmware and I have to say, I could not be happier with the choice.

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)

Good that you sorted it out but it leaves me feeling a bit apprehensive as I barely understood any of what you did to resolve it. ? 

I like the concept of open source but it is pretty intimidating for absolute novices.

Creality are bundling BLTouch packages - which is what I have bought - so they should work with what is in the box rather than having to tweak code.

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)

I had zero issues with the upgrade. Seems really odd.

I would like to add arc support to the Ender6, so a look at Klipper might make sense.

Is there a good writeup on configuring Klipper for the Ender6 somewhere?

ReplyQuote
tangerine
(@tangerine)

@harkon Whilst I can't claim to know anything about the subject, I watched a video about greatly improving arcs using a Cura add-on called Arc Welder.

ReplyQuote
Harkon
(@harkon)

@okulo

Yes, I tried it and unfortunately the Creality firmware in the Ender 6 is incompatible. It does not translate the arc G-Code commands. That's unfortunate as it is a great printer but seems like Creality kind of neutered it a little bit. Maybe because for the price it might cannibalize sales of more expensive units. I don't know. You get some really odd results when you slice with Arc Welder, but it's not anything useful.

ReplyQuote
mace-man
(@mace-man)
New Member Registered

The cause is that Bltouch is not working properly due to insufficient power supply to the relay board.
I connected the BLTouch directly to the mainboard and it worked fine.

kevin liked
ReplyQuote