Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Installed 4.2.7 board - Now the display switches between the status screen and menu screen making annoying beeps.

mhacker
(@mhacker)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have purchased and installed the 4.2.7 32-bit silent board for my Ender 5 (without the BL-TOUCH and no filament detector)

The Ender-3 firmware came installed on it, so according to the manufacturer indications, I downloaded the latest firmware version for the Ender-5 from  https://www.creality.com/download  which would be the file: "Ender-5,5S 4.2.7mainboard (32bit) .zip".

From this ZIP file I extracted the firmware (original) corresponding to my printer: "Ender-5- Marlin 2.0.1 - V1.0.1 - TMC2225.bin" (since I don't have the level sensor or the filament detector)

I copied it to a FAT32 formatted SD card and installed it in the printer. It initialized and loaded successfully. When I entered to check the printer configuration, it indicated: MARLIN 1.0.1 ENDER-5 dated 2020-04-25.

From there, I ran into these problems:

- The extruder was inverted. I solved it by changing the connections on the motor connector (crossing 1 with 3 and 4 with 6)

- The main problem now is that THE DISPLAY PERMANENTLY SWITCHES AND MAKES AN ANNOYING BEEP. This starts as soon as it start to heat the bed or start printing. I didn't find this problem documented anywhere.

- In the original firmware that came with the Ender-5 (8-bit board v1.1.4) the FILAMENT CHANGE and MANUAL BED LEVELING functions were available. With this update I don't have those functions. Is there any firmware (.BIN file) with those functions available? They are essential to be able to use the printer normally.

I will be grateful if someone can help me solve these issues, because I cannot use the printer under these conditions.

This topic was modified 7 months ago by mhacker

ReplyQuote
Richard Hardway
(@richard-hardway)
New Member Registered

I had this same issue, I was forced onto the same board and once it arrived and was installed Click Click Click as it would pop back and forth. You have to ground the power supply to the frame. Here is a pic of the spot you need to connect to the frame. Make sure you expose metal where the wire is touching the frame.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hardway
(@richard-hardway)
New Member Registered

Also, if you don't want to make the connection right away un-mount the screen and button holder from the frame and set it next to the printer will also stop the auto click.

ReplyQuote
MRex21
(@mrex21)
New Member Registered

@mhacker 

I am having the identical problem you are having and performed the same steps to repair it...with the same results. 

Additionally,  I installed the board, wire-for-wire from the original stock board in January of this year. I have never printed with this board. The printer has sat unused (covered) over the summer due to home construction.

I turned it on today and it is doing two strange things. This is the first time I have attempted to print with the new board.

First, when I print from the micro-SB card, the status screen switches back and forth from the main screen to the info screen and back again...several times, beeping each time.

Second, when the print starts, the motor that pushes the filament through the extruder does feed any filament. The extruder is fine. I am able to manually push filament through it without clogs or issues.

I have checked all connections and wires and everything appears as perfect as the day I bought it.

I'm hoping someone with a solution will see this thread.

This post was modified 6 months ago by MRex21

ReplyQuote
MRex21
(@mrex21)
New Member Registered

Based on this thread, I was able to switch the pins on the Extruder motor and **viola!*** my Ender-5 started printing again...nearly perfectly.

Now the only issue is the 4.2.7 board constantly switches from the Main screen to the Info screen and beeps each time. 

Before I go drilling holes into my Ender-5 case, I want to make sure the solution mentioned above (grounding to the case) is valid.  Is this "a" solution (a hack), or is this "the" solution?

ReplyQuote
MRex21
(@mrex21)
New Member Registered

Found this video describing the same issue.  His fix was to wrap the screen ribbon cable with metal foil.  Apparently, the signal to the stepper motors was triggering the knob encoder.

ReplyQuote
MRex21
(@mrex21)
New Member Registered

Found this video describing the same issue.  His fix was to wrap the screen ribbon cable with metal foil.  Apparently, the signal to the stepper motors was triggering the knob encoder.

ReplyQuote