Notifications
Clear all

Rough Layer Lines

martyz
(@martyz)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, i'm new to the thingiverse forums, and have been 3d printing for about 6 months now. Just got my second printer, Ender 5 Plus, about a month ago and have been working towards turning it into a dedicated high temp filament printer. But prior to doing that I just wanted to see how it prints, and I am honestly very disappointed compared to my first printer, the Ender 3 V2.

If you look at the attached photos, which are standard XYZ blocks at 200% size. You will notice that the layer lines are extremely visible and are very rough. I am using the exact same zyltech pla and slicer settings I am using on my Ender 3, and on the Ender 3 they come out perfectly smooth.

I thought at first that is was the temp since my Ender 5 is in the garage in NJ, and temps are not conducive to 3D printing. But I just completed the full enclosure and now temps inside are around 30 degrees C, so temp is no longer and issue. I updated the firmware, adjusted the e-steps and VREF and I am still having this issue.

I am about to upgrade the motherboard and screen, SKR 1.4 turbo and TFT35 V3.0 ready to go. But I want to getting it printing perfectly first to make sure all the mechanical components work. I also lubed both lead screws with dry lube, same as I use on my Ender 3.

At this point i'm at a loss, what else should I be checking?

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)
Power Supply Customer

If you use the same gcode you used for 3v2, and the print result on 5 plus is still not good as the print from v2, we can assume the problem is on the printer adjustment, like extruding issue or driving belts. Especially you can check all the axis' movement.

5 plus is one of the most stable printers. Once it has been tuned right, it is a workhorse.

ReplyQuote
martyz
(@martyz)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

I spent the last month trying everything I could. I updated the firmware, rechecked all alignments, adjusted vref, tightened all screws and belts. And still, the z-banding persists. I even went as far as upgrading the motherboard to an SKR 1.4 Turbo with TMC2208 drivers, but the z banding persists. Everything else works perfect except for this one issue, an issue I never had on my Ender 3. I also had to increase z-axis voltage to 1000 to get enough torque, but still no improvement.

Something that the Ender 3 does not suffer from, and that is vertical play in the z motors, both of them. Please see the youtube link below for the video. Both z motors have vertical play in them, that is the only thing that I can see mechanically wrong that could be causing the z banding. Also, just as a side note, the z banding is consistent all the way around so the bed is level and both screws turn in sync. Also, I did have to raise the z steps to 804 to get dimensional accuracy, which I should not have to do if the motors are working properly.

Q">

ReplyQuote
CJFIVE
(@cjfive)
Screw Registered

@martyz I am experiencing the same issue, consistent z banding on all of my prints from my Ender 5 Plus has become an issue, I have pretty much attempted every fix you listed and the issues still continue to persist. This has become especially annoying knowing my Ender 3 Max made perfect prints out of the box. Did you ever find a resolve for the problem? 

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up