Notifications
Clear all

bed won't zero to top, new Ender 5 plus build

Page 1 / 2

billyc
(@billyc)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Need help. I just assembled my first Ender, a 5 plus (actually got an Ender 6 but it croaked so I returned and got the 5 plus instead).  The issue is the bed will not go all the way up to the nozzle. I followed the Creality video on BL install.  I got close to just 2cm, it was about midway at first.  The BL touch just keeps blinking orange and does not turn blue.  I kept manually turning the Z motor to raise the bed before I turn on the machine, but it still returns to that 2cm mark (though it says on the screen it is at zero).  When I press the home button, it returns to that 2cm level. Any advice?   

ReplyQuote
everpom
(@everpom)
New Member Registered

I have the same problem. I hit Levelling. It centres OK to x & y, but instead of raising the bed to hit the BLT it lowers it three times and stops.  This has been an occasional intermittent problem which usually goes away after switching off overnight. However it seems to be permanent now so I can no longer print anything.

Have you been able to fix your problem?

ReplyQuote
MikeTV2000
(@miketv2000)
New Member Registered

Hi folk, do not get too excited on a reply I am just adding as yet another person with the same problem. The BL Touch is in error and therefore it moves down for safety. I have 2 emails to 2 different Creality support emails and the WebSupport form. Hopefully they will get back to us all soon. I will try the 1.70.1 version of firmware soon for giggles. 

ReplyQuote
solonlost
(@solonlost)
New Member Registered

Just got a new Ender 5 plus today. Same issue. Can not get it to level to the top.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

Anyone could provide a video? 2cm is a little large, it is nothing about Z-offset I think.

ReplyQuote
everpom
(@everpom)
New Member Registered

I seem to have fixed the problem.

The BL Touch probe was in the down position on power up, but still showing red. It appears to have been stuck.  I pushed it up and it immediately sprang back into life and the machine appears to be functioning normally now.

I hope this helps. It has taken me many hours to find this solution!

ReplyQuote
solonlost
(@solonlost)
New Member Registered

I got an initial print to work by adjusting the Z offset in the print itself, as explained here:

https://forum.creality.com/topic/1921/ender-5-plus-levelling-need-help

In the video it's described as a fix for the Z number not being 10.0 when you move->home. There's nothing wrong with my move->home Z value (it's 10, like the video says it should be when all is ok). I still messed with the Z value in the print itself (start a print, then adjust can change the Z value). A value of -2.00 worked for me.

That allowed a reasonably succesful first print. At the end of the print, the print bed automatically wen all the way down, and there was a button, 'finish print' which I dutifully pressed.

Now however, after my first print, I've switched the printer back on, and the moronic firmware seems to have forgotten that the print bed is not only at the bottom of the range, it's completely incapable of getting it back to the top on its own, and in fact won't even allow me to move it back up through the interface.

I'm not entirely sure what folks are doing at creality, but this is the sort of problem that the average hobbyist would have sorted out in the first alpha version of a DIY printer. All the damn thing has to do is move up until it hits the BLTouch, instead of down. It's not hard.

Now, the bloody thing only moves down and since there isn't a sensor to detect the bottom extreme, that has the potential of damaging the printer. It's utter, completely avoidable, shit that really doesn't belong in a production version of any kind of product.

I honestly cannot fathom how you can compound the problem of not having a bottom extreme sensor (which would perhaps make the printer all of 5 euro's more expensive) with an idiotic firmware that only adjusts downwards (!!!!!!)  when it doesn't know wher it is.

That 'll be the first and only time I buy creality I guess.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@miketv2000 Hi Friend, I am curious have Creality replied?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@solonlost Hi friend. Seems your question is not the same as the other users. If your bed goes completely in the opposite direction, please check if the wiring of Z is reversed for positive and negative terminals, maybe Creality made a mistake.

ReplyQuote
solonlost
(@solonlost)
New Member Registered

@kevin

Hi,

That cannot logically be the problem.

If I manually move the bed pretty much to the top, about one in five times the BLTouch activates on power on, and if it registers the bed, things work and I can make 3D prints, with the aforementioned manual offset of -2.00 on the Z access, which I need to enter in the 'adjust print' screen after having initiated the print.

If the Z wires were reversed, printing would be completely impossible. It has to be a software issue.

The basic logic for bed location determination would be power on -> extend BLTouch -> move bed upwards until BLTouch is engaged. Possibly it should ask confirmation that the bed is clear before going into this sequence, but this is the logic that should be used for bed location determination.

The machine never exhibits this behaviour.

However, when a print is finished, the bed moves down almost to the bottom. I assume this is expected behaviour.

However, if I try to follow up with a second print - both with or without powering down the machine inbetween - it tries to adjust downwards and continues to attempt to do so even after hitting the mechanical bottom of travel, potentially damaging the printer.

The only way to get the thing working again is powering down, manually bringing the bed to the top, switching it on and off ~5 times until the BLTouch decideds to do something, and then you can make a single print before having to repeat the process.

How does firmware this bad ever make it out of testing?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@solonlost I see ? so you have done lots of test and figure out where is the problem. I just met a case before that the Z is reversed for positive and negative, so that the Z end stop sign is triggered and the build plate can not goes up. 

What are you going to do next?  Fix the firmware issue? 

ReplyQuote
solonlost
(@solonlost)
New Member Registered

@kevin

Unfortunately, I have no real experience in messing with the firmware. If I could easily rewrite the startup process I would.

Unfortunately, it would seem more sensible to upgrade the whole mainboard, go silent and have a firmware which is actually safe to not damage the printer.

I'm still trying to figure out what sort of a board that should be. Currently looking at Duet. We'll see. In the meantime I'm just going to have to keep manually moving the bed up and switching it off and on five times before the BLTouch works.

ReplyQuote
MikeTV2000
(@miketv2000)
New Member Registered

@kevin

Hi, Creality just said work with my Amazon partner. It is my probe for sure. The Amazon partner states there was an extra one but there was not. It is going back into the box so I can wait on printer #4. Printer 1-2 UPS, #3 Bad Probe. I am still hopeful, everything else was great and it is a solid printer.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@miketv2000 I have got many BLtouch kits so many times and there do have an extra one probe in the case. But maybe they forget yours. ? ? LOL.

ReplyQuote
billyc
(@billyc)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@everpom I returned it to the store after trying for 2 days.  I will wait for an Ender 6 replacement instead when it is back it stock locally at my store.  My bed did not even touch the BLtouch. I have to manually turn the Z axis with the motor off to get the bed to the nozzle.  I only saw the BLtouch turn blue, otherwise it was orange the whole time. I checked all the cables.  I think I got a lemon so I returned it. That's why I chose to buy local even with extra cost bec of this reason.

This post was modified 6 months ago by billyc

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2