Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Use USB to write to SD card?

paul9531031
(@paul9531031)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I just started 3D printing and I'm worried about the SD card being damaged by moving from printer to PC and back.  Has anyone adapted the board firmware to allow writing to the SD card with data sent to the USB port from the PC?  If they haven't, would it be possible theoretically to achieve this if one knew how?  Thanks for any thoughts.

ReplyQuote
SolidEdge-er
(@solidedge-er)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @paul9531031

I just started 3D printing and I'm worried about the SD card being damaged by moving from printer to PC and back.  Has anyone adapted the board firmware to allow writing to the SD card with data sent to the USB port from the PC?  If they haven't, would it be possible theoretically to achieve this if one knew how?  Thanks for any thoughts.

I fixed this by using this SD card extension cable: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32835709153.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.30c15cb9J7FS0x Using this you can leave the micro SD side in the printer and just use a normal SD for data transfer. This way your micro SD slot on the mainboard should live a bit longer.

ReplyQuote
RJOSS33
(@rjoss33)
Active Member Registered

@solidedge-er

Oui, c'est une bonne solution que j'utilise mais si l'on retire la SD avec l'imprimante sous tension par exemple pour charger un nouveau STL. A ce moment, elle n'est plus reconnue. Il faut donc éteindre l'imprimante et rallumer. Là, elle est à nouveau reconnue. ? 

Yes, it is a good solution that I use but if we remove the SD with the printer powered on for example to load a new STL. At this time, she is no longer recognized. You must therefore turn off the printer and turn it on again. There she is again recognized. ? 

ReplyQuote
SolidEdge-er
(@solidedge-er)
New Member Registered

@rjoss33

Yes, that's right. But in general it's always better to insert or remove SD cards when the system is switched off. That's what I also did when I used the original micro SD cards. Removing/inserting in a working system could corrupt your card.

ReplyQuote
mark1000
(@mark1000)
Active Member Registered

I use the same micro sd to sd adapter and made a sd housing that screws to the front of the printer and hides the micro sd and ribbon cable.

ReplyQuote
Axl Myk
(@axl-myk)
Active Member Registered

Posted by: @mark1000

I use the same micro sd to sd adapter and made a sd housing that screws to the front of the printer and hides the micro sd and ribbon cable.

Care to share the file? Sounds like a good idea.

ReplyQuote
mark1000
(@mark1000)
Active Member Registered

@axl-myk  Sorry for the very late reply, not sure i can upload a file here  ( seem you can ) but it is very small 160kb, for what it's worth this is it, a work in progress.

Do what ever you want with it, you may not want to drill and tap the hole on the right but you could use some double sided tape to hold it instead, just import the file into tinkercad.com and fill that hole in.

BTW, you don't need any supports for this, just lay the model on it's back and turn on bridging.

This post was modified 8 months ago 3 times by mark1000

ReplyQuote
Anthony
(@anthony)
New Member Registered

@mark1000

Hey Mark

Nice looking set-up you have there ?. Is the LCD stand, file also available ?

ReplyQuote
mark1000
(@mark1000)
Active Member Registered

@anthony it's a work in progress i'm afraid, a bit rough round the edges to share at this point, sorry.

ReplyQuote
Anthony
(@anthony)
New Member Registered

@mark1000

No Problems.  Out of interest, does it use the four locator pins as in the original ?

ReplyQuote
Anthony
(@anthony)
New Member Registered

Sorry, the two locator pins ??‍♂️

ReplyQuote
mark1000
(@mark1000)
Active Member Registered

@anthony  2 keyhole type holes for the pins

ReplyQuote
mark1000
(@mark1000)
Active Member Registered

If you want to mess around with the file be my guest, if you polish it would you upload it here please.

ReplyQuote