Notifications
Clear all

not entirely sure what my problem is

RustyPrints01
(@rustyprints01)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I'm new to 3D printing and have gotten three successful builds of my new Ender 3 v2. As of this last Friday or the 12th of March 2021, I don't know if it's the bed heating or if I built it wrong, but the filament included isn't sticking to the bed as well as most pictures and reviews I've gone over. I've tried over 30 builds of just a regular Benchy Boat, and the filament doesn't stick down; it curves up and attaches to the nozzle. Can it just be that I have leveled it wrong? is there an easier way to level without purchasing new parts or accessories? 

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
CYT
 CYT
(@cyt)
Screw

I am also not sure what exactly happened, but there are several common issues that may cause the problem and that's the steps I would usually do:

1. the bed is not leveled or the nuzzle is too high above the bed. I would adjust the bed with a piece of paper. Here is a video:

2. The bed temperature may be too low-- I personally always use PLA and I set the temperature to 60. Maybe you can raise the temperature by 5 degrees at a time and see if it sticks after you level the bed. 

3. The printing speed is too high-- when printing the first layer, I would print with 50mm/s to make sure the filament sticks nicely on the bed. Maybe you can lower the speed as well to check.

4. the bed itself doesn't have enough adhesion (usually not the case) -- if the steps above still don't work, I would use some tapes on the bed and print on the tapes to check whether the part sticks. 

These steps usually help me solve the sticking problems. I hope it also works for you as well. 

ReplyQuote
Wurlitzerwilly
(@wurlitzerwilly)
Eminent Member Registered

@rustyprints01
Not only level the bed, but make sure the bed is clean - wipe with IPA or wash the glass with soap and water. Have you removed the original yellow film?

Try different temperatures too. If you're still using the original Creality PLA filament, try printing at 190/50. Mine sticks like sh*t to a blanket and I have to wait until the bed cools right down, in order to remove it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
RustyPrints01
(@rustyprints01)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@wurlitzerwillym, thanks for such a fast response, but what do you mean by the yellow film. I removed the plastic-like cover, is there other stuff to either scrape off or remove?

ReplyQuote
tundrwd
(@tundrwd)
Eminent Member Registered

Posted by: @rustyprints01

I'm new to 3D printing and have gotten three successful builds of my new Ender 3 v2. As of this last Friday or the 12th of March 2021, I don't know if it's the bed heating or if I built it wrong, but the filament included isn't sticking to the bed as well as most pictures and reviews I've gone over. I've tried over 30 builds of just a regular Benchy Boat, and the filament doesn't stick down; it curves up and attaches to the nozzle. Can it just be that I have leveled it wrong? is there an easier way to level without purchasing new parts or accessories? 

Had the same problems as you.  Fixed easily with:

1. Make sure bed is level.  I use the "piece of paper" technique between the hot end and the bed.  Get it to where you just start to feel it tugging at the paper.  Go around all 4 corners, do this 3 times to make sure it's level.  Heat up the bed - CHECK LEVEL AGAIN.

2.  While heating the bed - USE A GLUE STICK.  For me - I found that the Elmers Purple Disappearing glue stick works wonders.  Go across the bed horizontally, let it "dry", then go across the bed in the opposite direction.  Let it dry.  It'll get tacky with the bed heating up.

3. Print.  Once I did #1 and #2 above - first print came out as it should have.

(I will say I also added the stiffer springs to the bed - get them on Amazon for about $6 for 8-10 of the "yellow" springs).

Saw some advice to clean the bed after each print - I don't.  I'll do 3-5 prints between cleanings, and will just smear some more of the glue stick on the bed before starting a new print.  Only hitting the area the print will be within.

Cleaning the bed: Use Windex original (the ammonia kind), then use a razor blade or your putty knife that came with the printer to get the glue moved around.  The Windex will dissolve the glue.  Wipe it all off with a paper towel.  Then use isopropyl alcohol - at leas 70% alcohol (I use 91% or better), and clean off any residue on the bed.  Wipe dry.

Then start the process over again.  With this method, I'm churning out print after print.  If you start having layer shift issues - you probably have a 4.2.2 motherboard - check the thread on the V2 layer shift issues.

ReplyQuote