Notifications
Clear all

lead screw not fitting into z axis stepper motor

reverendus
(@reverendus)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I just got an ender 3 v2 and am in the process of assembling it. I am at the step where I am supposed to insert the lead screw into the stepper motor. I have loosened the set screw and tried to insert the lead screw. It will not go in. From what I have seen watching some videos on assembling this printer, the lead screw should go in easily, but it won't go in even with a fair amount of force. I don't want to force it too hard and break something. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
Wurlitzerwilly
(@wurlitzerwilly)
Eminent Member Registered

@reverendus
Assuming that the grub screw is far enough out of the coupler, I wonder if the coupler is too far down on the motor shaft so that there's no room for the lead screw?
Loosen the lower grub screw on the coupler and lift it up or completely off the motor.
If the lead screw still won't go in, turn the coupler over and try again.
If all that doesn't work, you either have an oversize lead screw, or the hole in the coupler is too small.

Also, you may find this video to be really helpful with the assembly:

ReplyQuote
reverendus
(@reverendus)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@wurlitzerwilly Thank you for your suggestions. I have already tried pretty much all of that and the video you referenced is one of the ones I was using. From the way it appears, I think the coupler may be too small. The one on the bottom has a larger gap in the slit up the side than the one on the top, even with the bottom one tightened and the top one loosened.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@reverendus Then apparently, you got a bad coupler. when you totally loosen the screws, the gap on the top and bottom will be the same. You can ask the customer service to send you a new one.

ReplyQuote
reverendus
(@reverendus)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin Yeah, mine is definitely not like that. I have emailed customer service, just need to wait to hear back. Thank you for confirming that the issue is what I suspected.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@reverendus It is my pleasure. Hope you enjoy your printing.

ReplyQuote
reverendus
(@reverendus)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin I will once I get this together and working lol. That's part of why this is so frustrating, it is my first 3d printer and I can't even use it yet.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@reverendus No sweet without sweat 🤣 

ReplyQuote