Clear all

Layer Shift, Ender 3 V2

Page 13 / 25

Rob65
(@rob65)
Active Member Registered

Well,

seems my v2 has the same problem.
I have 2 v2 printers, the first one bought during last year's Black Friday deal, the second one beginning december. Both were delivered from a local Dutch shop (123-3D.nl).

I upgraded both printers up to a point where I cannot claim warranty anymore but both printers have been printing fine for 6-8 weeks with periods of 4 days 24/7 without any problems.

Now I suddenly have a problem with the second printer that I bought. A few days ago I noticed extruder clicks - same settings as ever and tonight I had massive layer shifts and during another test print the printer performed a reset (that is, Octoprint told me that the printer has gone through a reset).

Both problems have not happened before, not even during longer prints with ABS in a heated environment (closed box, > 30 deg. C temperature)

The new 4.2.7 board is not a soluion IMHO, this also is just a band aid, There are just too many design failures and crap components being used in this printer.
Crap components was to be expected with a printer this cheap: the PTFE tube seems way less smooth as on my other printers, the fan on the hot-end started making a ratling noise after just a few days and some of the wheels on the X- and Y-axes have dents or even chips from which looks wrong installation during assembly.

But there are some very stupid design errors that are unforgivable.
The power supply has a fan for air intake but the air exhaust on the power supply is blocked by the mounting plate. WTF ??? Where do Creality designers thing the air goes ???
The electronics cabinet has a similar issue. There is a fan in the bottom of the case blowing air up to the board but the air outlets are also at the bottom. The fan is way too small to properly cool the electronics and it is being blocked by all the wiring that runs through the small housing.
Electronics being mounted up side down with the heat sinks pointing down just means that the heat will move up into the PCB and the cooling on the stepper drivers does not perform well.

And the cooling fan on the electronics is controlled together with the part cooling. WHAT ???
Yes, I confirmed on my printer that the electronics fan is only running while the part cooling is on and guess what: part cooling is optional but cooling of the electronics is a must ...

I guess, I have to combine a number of solutions I have seen here: higher legs, bigger fan and also exchange the fan in the power supply for a bigger one.
Then I'll move the electronics down between the legs (PCB down, cooling blocks pointing up) and make sure the bigger fans provide some decent cooling over the board and the heat sinks. That should take care of any overheating issues.

Another issue is the power supply. During printing the fan is on most of the time - even now that I have added some extra holes in the cover plate for the air exhaust. The one big difference is that in the Ender v2, the fan is on the bottom side of the printer while on both my other printers, the power supply has the fan on the top.
Same issue as with the main board: it's mounted up side down with the PCB on the top instead on on the bottom.

The more I think of this printer, the more I see this as a box of components that you need to reorder up side down to make it into a real good printer.

It is still a nice printer for people who don't use their printer a lot and the price is almost unbeatable but for more demanding applications there is still a lot that needs to be done to this printer.

ReplyQuote
bob865
(@bob865)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @brodygoble
Posted by: @bob865

I received my Ender 3 V2 and have been having this same problem as well.  Small prints work with no issue, but large prints (more than 4-5hrs) are plagued with layer shifts.  I wanted to chime in so the volume of the problem could get documented.  I'll try the solution posted by @brodygoble above to see if it solves the problem.

Let us know if opening up the mainboard area to further ventilate helps the issue, it really is unfortunate. I was able to get back printing but occasionally now I am starting to get the erratic behavior again as if this mainboard is becoming weaker and weaker or more susceptible to the heat. Last night it happened again where the printer started pressing “enter” on whichever screen it was on (all on it’s own) while some strange layer shift was happening. It ended up stopping the print itself. 

I then waited for 3 hours and started the print over and was able to get it done before the mainboard heat soaked. Simply was a case of trying to do a few prints back to back that tipped it over the edge. 

I ended up printing a new mainboard cover and replacing the small fan with an 80mm fan.  This seemed to have a big improvement one my first test print.  I printed the same print which had shift badly on the first attempt.  So I decided to print a very large print to really "stress test" the printer and at about the 8-10 hr mark it started shifting.  I canceled the print job and shortly later I started a new one.  I hadn't given it time to fully cool down and it shifted at around the 1 hr mark.  So I saw the same back to back result you had.

I've read through the other replies and e-mailed my re-seller to see if I can a replacement mainboard or a v4.2.7 mainboard.

ReplyQuote
yemu
 yemu
(@yemu)
New Member Registered

Registered just to share my expiernces.

They offered me a fan, when I don't accepted that they offered me a replacement board. They didn't answered my questions if it's a 4.2.7 board yet. They sent me a tracking number - but it does not exists - I hope this is not a scam. 

I lost so much time, energy and money on filaments that I have really enough of Creality.

Hope I will get the replacement board. Then I will be able to send Ender and never buy from Creality again. 

I have a comparison with Fysetc Prusa clones with similar price - and these are waaaay better printers. 

ReplyQuote
seitretre
(@seitretre)
Eminent Member Registered

Well done.

From my side, I have decided to report all this stuff to local authorities.

There are many public organizations here in European Union that are aimed to protect consumers.

They're not doing what they say in terms of customer service in their web site, this is a fraud.

They're not complying European Union norms and EU may charge them a fine.

Companies like Google or Apple were charged for some behaviours in the past, Creality may receive the same treatment if they continue like that...

ReplyQuote
rfsbsb
(@rfsbsb)
New Member Registered

I got an Ender 3 V2 last week from Amazon Canada, after a few successful prints (benchy and other small items) it started shifting layers (both x and y). I've tried almost everything described on this thread with no real success (small improvements but after 2h the drift came back). I lost my patience and returned the print. I guess I'll go with a regular Ender 3, buy a 32bit board and save around $50.

Really disappointed with this issue!

ReplyQuote
Stresspuppy
(@stresspuppy)
Active Member Registered

Add one more to the mix on this "fun".

Based on this thread, I filled out the "After-Sale Service" form on Creality's site and gave them all the info, sent several pictures of items and how things were shifting and it was inconsistent. I stated I had checked everything, tensioned everything, etc. and that I haven't made any physical or electrical modifications (yet ? ). I mentioned I had the 4.2.2 board and had heard that the 4.2.7 board fixed the problem. I sent the message yesterday afternoon. 

I bought my Ender mid-December like many others so definitely in the right timeframe. I bought it through Amazon and yesterday was my last day to fill out a return so even though I emailed Creality, I decided not to take a chance and have Amazon send me a replacement (and I pack up and drop off the current one at an Amazon pickup location so no shipping cost to me). They were good about it and a new one will be here Wednesday. No guarantee it will have the 4.2.7 board but playing both sides just in case.

WELL, this morning I checked my email and I had a response from Creality at 6 am (so less than 18 hours from filling out their form) saying they got my info and they were forwarding it to the correct dept to send me a new board. No haggle, no hassle. Maybe it was the pictures I sent or that I was specific in knowing that an updated board fixed things for others. I gave them shipping info but haven't heard back yet on any shipping details. Based on others here, it sounds like it could take a little time.

So what to do, what to do. If they are sending a board there is no reason to go through the hassle of taking my printer apart, boxing it up to then turn around and put one together again. So if I hear back from Creality with shipping info, I may just send the Amazon one back. But I'm curious if it has the 4.2.2 board so the box may "accidentally" come open and the MB case "magically" open so I can see which board it has. If it has the 4.2.7, then the real dilemma kicks in - setup the new one and pack up the old one or just wait for the new board. Hmmmmm. 

Many thanks for all those that have shared details here on their findings. Other than reading through 13 pages of this thread, a resolution (well, a presumed resolution) is turning out to be easy for me, but YMMV.

ReplyQuote
voltarwe
(@voltarwe)
Active Member Registered

@rob65 ik heb mijn printer bij de zelfde winkel gekocht. Heb het layer probleem daar neergelegd en een nieuw moederbord gevraagd. 

ReplyQuote
Rob65
(@rob65)
Active Member Registered

@voltarwe ik ben benieuwd wat de reactie van 123-3D is.

Helaas heb ik mijn printer al stevig verbouwd (HMG5 met E3D, kabelrups etc) dus garantie wordt lastig.

ReplyQuote
Sennevds
(@sennevds)
Active Member Registered

@voltarwe @rob65 ik heb mijn V2 ook bij 123-3d gekocht en heb enkele weken geleden het 4.2.7 board ontvangen wat perfect werkt! Perfecte service van hun kant!

ReplyQuote
voltarwe
(@voltarwe)
Active Member Registered

@rob65 ha tof dat zijn net de updates die ik ook wil gaan doen (of herema E3D). Als Newbe durf ik het nog niet aan.  als ik je privé kon appen had ik stiekem om foto gevraagd.

123-3d zijn al een lijst aan het maken, je kan altijd jouw naam erop laten zetten. 

ReplyQuote
Demon85
(@demon85)

Can anyone confirm that this is a good board to buy? V2 is not in the list, but I guess there is no other 4.2.7 board around

https://creality3d.shop/products/creality3d-upgrade-silent-4-2-7-1-1-5-mainboard-for-ender-3-ender-3-pro-ender-5-3d-printer

ReplyQuote
Rob65
(@rob65)
Active Member Registered

@voltarwe

Ik heb ook nog wel wat tips/foto's voor de HMG5

Groeten,

Rob

This post was modified 1 year ago by Rob65

ReplyQuote
ThePrimarch
(@theprimarch)
Active Member Registered

Just received a shipping confirmation with tracking info from DHL for what is supposed to be my replacement motherboard and fan from Creality customer service.  We'll see what happens.

ReplyQuote
Tempest161
(@tempest161)
New Member Registered

I am not sure if what is going on relates to this, but I saw this was just posted so thought I would post my issue here first. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

I know there can be multiple issues that can cause print shifting, but I have checked all of the basics such as belt tensions, pulley gears, print head, and glass bed movement, which where all ok. The only thing I did not check was the filament spool. I did not because this was printed from a brand new roll. Is it possible that the filament was wound wrong or would this even cause something like this to happen?

Weird thing is as you will see from the pics is that it started relatively low from the base and the top tubes above the shifting printed perfectly. The piece on the right in the pic is the right side of the case, it was printed before the one on the left separetely and printed perfect as well.

Printer Specs:

Ender 3 Pro with 32bit Board V4.2.2
BL Touch Model 3.1
Micro Swiss Hot End
PrinterMods MDD
Creality Glass Bed
FIRMWARE is the latest from daily builds at https://marlin.crc.id.au/

ReplyQuote
seitretre
(@seitretre)

@demon85