Notifications
Clear all

calibrating e-steps

Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

for some reason no matter what i offset the e-steps to, whenever I go to extrude 100mm it is more like 10mm

i just replaced the extruder with an all metal one. sometimes prints are ok.

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

I adjusted the E-steps to 55 and then to 130. however it still only extrudes very little filament compared to 100 mm which i measured with my caliper. I am not sure what to adjust. the extruder seems fine.

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

i am very new. but my guess is that the nozzle is clogged and the extruder is slipping as it pushes the filament. thus causing it to think it is pushing out significantly more than it actually is.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
LCD Sreen Admin

Hi @daveyman123

Hope this article from All3dp could help you:

. And if you would like to know how e-step calibration works. Click here please:

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
LCD Sreen Admin

@daveyman123

You can higher the temperature of the hot end and poke from the nozzle hole with a needle to check the condition. However, if you haven't printed special materials/filament before, I think the possibility of nozzle clogging is small.

Please check the metal extruder installation as you mentioned: "extruder is slipping".

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin

I will when I get home from work. thank you so much for the reply.

basically it is severely under extruding when I do the 100 mm test. it is either clogged or maybe I need to add more tension on the extruder spring. What are some of the main causes that would make a printer under extrude so much?

This post was modified 1 month ago by Daveyman123

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin

I already used that guide to calibrate with my calipers

no matter what I adjust the transmission ratio to it only uses a tiny fraction of the filament in the 100 mm test.

ReplyQuote
3nderUser
(@3nderuser)
Extruder Registered

Remove nozzle when calibration then you know for sure what's happening.

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

@3nderUser thank you. I will give that a shot. I found some videos on my specific extruder. It seems that adding a missing piece to the extruder under the spring helps it grip better and extrusion works properly (ie the proper amount) now it seems that I need to remove the nozzle and calibrate without the nozzle just to troubleshoot some other problems im having

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

@3nderUser I like youre thinking. i accomplish two things at once

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

I ordered another new hot end because the white wires fell out

ReplyQuote
tosio3D
(@tosio3d)
Cooling Fan Registered

@daveyman123   I calibrate my extruder in such a way, that I screw off the bowden tube a the extruder, insert a filament, cut it exactly a this outlet where you would  screw in the bowden tube. Then lets move the extruder 100mm, cut the filament exactly the same way as before, move extruder 200mm, cut the filament again. So here you should have two filament segments with close 100mm. I hope you know about the math then.... my ender 3v2 extruder calibration value is set to 95.6....

so at least you know that the extruder is working properly, attach bowden again. If this not help to print in a good quality, bowden has to much resistance (check it by move a bit of filament by hand) or nozzle is clogged  

ReplyQuote
Daveyman123
(@daveyman123)
Cooling Fan Registered
Topic starter  

@tosio3d

Thank you. I was able to do the math and my all metal extruder is happy at 139 transmission ratio

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up