Weird Ender 3 v1 pr...

Notifications
Clear all

Weird Ender 3 v1 problem

Electromet
(@electromet)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

This is my first post, so please be gentle, please.  I have an Ender 3 v1 that I've had for maybe 2 years.  I've only run 1 1/2 spools of PLA through it, but changed to ABS for a single project.  When I changed back to PLA nothing has gone right.  I don't have any idea what I've done to myself.  When things went bad, everything was as it came from the factory, and I was using Creality Slicer v1.2.3. and I was pretty pleased with my results.  After I changed back to PLA, the first symptom was that the E stepper was locked up when I started a print.  When I fed filament manually through the control panel, it would step just fine.  I found  video on YouTube to check the stepper drivers and they seemed okay.  I wasn't comfortable with the stepper itself, so I changed it out.  The problem still existed.  I feared I might need a new motherboard, and I wanted a quieter operation anyway, so I installed a SKR Mini E3V1.2.  Now it's nice and quiet, but still locks up the E stepper.  I experimented with some older models on my SD card, and lo and behold they print pretty well.  I figure that something has been changed in my slicer settings.  I uninstalled the slicer and installed a new version of Creality, Cura, and Slic3r.  I can't make any of them work.  Does anyone have any idea what I may have missed?  Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer. ?  Mike

Mike

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@electromet Seems everything went wrong since you used ABS filament. You can feed filament manually through the control panel, which means its wiring/mainboard is ok. But you said the stepper driver is fine, too. Strange! I am wondering that how you check the stepper drivers? Could you please share? 

Could it be blocked? ABS melts somewhere between 210 and 250 °C. PLA's temp is lower. How about up the temp of the nozzle and clean it.

ReplyQuote
Electromet
(@electromet)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Kevin,

To check the stepper drivers you just go to the motherboard and swap jumpers from one driver to another and see if the problem is in the stepper or in the driver.  That's not a very good explanation, but if you search Youtube for "Ender 3 stepper troubleshooting" you will find a Chinese language video that shows the process.  It has English subtitles, so it's relatively easy to grasp.

The extruder is clear and will extrude either manually or if I use one of my previously sliced models.  It's just anything newly sliced with any of the 3 slicer installed slicer apps that locks up the E stepper.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Electromet
(@electromet)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I don't really know what happened, but for the 5th time I installed new slicers on my computer.  This time around I installed Creality Slicer v4.2.1 rather than v1.2.3 or v4.8.  I nearly fell off my chair when the extruder began working with a freshly sliced model.  After a couple of small test prints, I got it dialed in.  I ran a 9 hour print last night and the results are beautiful.  Now I've got a "To Do" list  that's been growing for the past few months.  Thanks for listening!

Mike

CYT liked
ReplyQuote