USB socket on my En...

Notifications
Clear all

USB socket on my Ender 3 Pro?

Mebyon
(@mebyon)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

Hi folks, very new here and still finding my way around my lovely Ender 3.

However I'm getting a little fed up with fiddling around with the tiny SD card, the USB adapter that I use to send gcode to the card and then fussing with getting the card back into the Ender to print.

But there's a small USB socket on the Ender. What's that for? Nobody seems to mention its presence and I doubt that it's just decoration! Is there a way I can connect my computer to the Ender using a USB cable; (have to be a pretty long one I admit). But if I can send gcodes direct to the printer from Cura that would be WONDERFUL! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Twml
 Twml
(@twml)
Heating Block Registered

if you have the 8 bit board there is a mini usb port on printer next to sd slot, if you have 32bit 4.2.7 board its a micro usb. connect that cable to your computer and download ultimakers cura 4.8. install the usb driver for the printer then you can slice and print right from cura over usb. (side note: get a micro sd to sd card adapter cable and use a full size sd on printer) 

here is my printer for example. i moved my board outside an enclosure and print from my laptop over usb. Ender 3 #1 & Ender 3 #2  this is the micro sd adapter it just plugs in to micro slot like a card does. SD Adapter

ReplyQuote
Mebyon
(@mebyon)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response. I guess I have the 8-bit board as it's a USB-B rather than a USB-C socket, (Mini not micro). I'll just have to play around to see what my computer thinks it's connected to. I was trying to avoid buying a long USB extension cable just to try it out.

But it's very strange that the socket is there at all when there's no mention of it in any literature that I've seen and it would make an awful lot of sense for it to be a way of connecting the printer to a computer. I wonder what it's for, seems superfluous to me!

Yep, got Cura. I assume that when you say, "you can slice and print right from cura over usb", you're talking about that 32-bit Ender board and that I can't do that with the 8-bit board?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Hot Bed Admin

@mebyon Hi welcome! My new friend. You can use USB cable to connect the PC and control the printer by sending Gcode directly. That is the Senior players do.  

ReplyQuote
Mebyon
(@mebyon)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin

Ah. I understand. I plugged in the USB cable and, after the 'proing' sound that meant my computer had realised that something had been plugged in, absolutely nothing happened. (Like no new storage medium in Windows Explorer). I guess I need some sort of software to use the connection. Not what I was hoping for as I had great hopes that the cable would in some way get rid of the faffing around with piddly little micro SD cards. Oh well, back to the manual method I guess but thanks for the reply.

Chris

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Hot Bed Admin

@mebyon Creality is working on this. Creality cloud and wifi box was born for this. 

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up