Proper Bed Cleaning...

Notifications
Clear all

Proper Bed Cleaning?

Diggum
(@diggum)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I tried, but didn't find this topic covered (maybe wrong search terms?), so I'd like to ask you all as to the best method of bed cleaning.  I've been scraping the residue from my PLA off of my magnetic bed, but am now finding that I'm noting the middle of the bed becoming smooth, which of course means I have a greater gap in the middle than on the perimeter.  I want the bed clean, since subsequent prints are picking up previous color residue from previous prints.  So my black now has white in it, and I need to paint it to get a nice black color.

Any tips/tricks are appreciated.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

DO NOT scrap! You can use baby wipes to wipe your hotbed. Clean, easy, safe, the most important thing is there will be no harm to your hotbed.

ReplyQuote
Diggum
(@diggum)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin thank you, but I don't believe that wipes will dissolve the PLA that's embedded in the plastic of the bed, and that's the problem I'm trying to solve.  Any thoughts on that?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@diggum Usually, it is easy to remove the finished printer from the magnetic plate. Did you check if your bed leveling is too tight? If so, the first layer will stick on the bed too hard to remove. Then when you scrape it frequently, the condition of the magnetic bed will be getting worse and worse. It's a vicious circle ? 

Besides, you said that there is a greater gap in the middle than the perimeter, which means this bed is unable to work properly now. I recommend you buy a new magnetic bed and clean/protect it tenderly from the beginning.

Anyway, I think that washing or wiping it with liquid is better than using a metal shovel on a magnetic bed.

ReplyQuote
mlogue9
(@mlogue9)
Active Member Registered

I also advice against ever using scraping especially with a harder tool than the surface. 

I found that printing a sheet - just a huge 2 layer raft with big margin works very well for pulling off stuff. Other than that I use alcohol. If it continues to plague you, consider dropping bed temps by 10C or so. then use a belt sander.... j/k

Diggum liked
ReplyQuote