Forum

Print isn’t stickin...

Notifications
Clear all

Print isn’t sticking to bed (noob - first print)

ErniePantuso
(@erniepantuso)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I’m new to 3D printing and just setup my first printer - an Ender 3. I got it all assembled and meticulously leveled the bed. It’s pretty much perfect (I think) but the bed is definitely lower in the middle. I can’t really say how much lower but when I get home this evening, I’ll see how many pieces of paper I can get under the print nozzle. Anyway, I downloaded Benchy from Thingiverse and opened the STL file for Benchy in Cura, sliced it with all the default settings, then saved the gcode file to the SD card. I wiped the bed with isopropyl alcohol (since I’d been handling it so much). I’m not sure what kind of filament I’m using; it’s the test filament that came with the Ender 3. (Is that enough to make a Benchy?) I assumed it was PLA so I set the temperature to 205 (bed temp 60) and waited for it to come up to temp before I started printing. But the filament isn’t sticking to the bed. What should I do/try? The fan setting is at the default 255; should I reduce that so the filament doesn’t cool so quickly?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@erniepantuso Hello, the filament that came with your printer is PLA. 200/60 temp is fine. And your bed has no issues as well. So you need to learn how to level the bed first.

ReplyQuote
ErniePantuso
(@erniepantuso)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @erniepantuso

I got it all assembled and meticulously leveled the bed. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@erniepantuso What I want to say is do a live leveling like what you see in this video. You will see clearly where is high or low while the printer working on.

ReplyQuote
Mindwave
(@mindwave)
New Member Registered

Kevinhow long did it take for your 1st live level to work?

I'm on day 2 of about 3 hours each day and haven't gotten it 100% yet.

As close as I got using Cheps model looked like it was going to work. It lay down ,3-4 layers just fine but something happened and everything came up as nd started dragging all over the bed.

One thing in have noticed, during Cheps test squares, it's only heating my bed up to 50degrees.bbshould I change my bed temp to 50?

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@mindwave  It sounds like your hotbed is not sticky enough. Yes, 50-55 is better for PLA in my opinion.

ReplyQuote