New glass bed adhes...

Notifications
Clear all

New glass bed adhesion issue

Shdwdrgn
(@shdwdrgn)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I bought an Ender 3 Pro about three years ago and picked up a glass bed at the same time (the original one with the Creality logo across the center).  Well after all this time the coating has worn out so I bought a new bed.  This is the new one with a much smaller Creality logo at the bottom.

This new bed had a plastic film that needed to be removed, but it left a lot of sticky gunk on the glass.  After working with it using alcohol, dish soap, and more alcohol, I finally got everything nice and clean.  However there is still a very noticeable difference in the coating between the old and new bed that you can see and feel.

With the new bed in place I performed the regular leveling process.  This basically starts with the paper test to get it close, followed by 5-point print tests to dial it in.  And because of the age of my printer it came with a warped aluminum bed, so I use layers of foil under the center of the glass to make sure the entire bed is completely flat.  This is such an easy process that I literally only check my leveling once a year because in the past all of my prints have stuck to the bed without any problems.

To give you an idea of how confident I am in this process, my test for new filaments is a calicat printed at 50% (10mm).  If you are familiar with the model, you know the cat has feet, so at this print size there is extremely minimal contact surface with the bed, and I use that to help dial in my nozzle temps for each new filament.  Bed temperatures have always worked well at 60-65C, and nozzle temps can range between 195-215.

I can barely get anything to stick to the new bed, even larger prints.  I have typically had the best luck with the first layer being about 0.15mm, but in testing the new bed I have ranged from 0.28mm down to so thin it looks like the filament was wiped on, tried using a higher flow rate for the first layer (causing a massive elephant-foot), tried adjust the z-offset in Marlin...  Even my 5-point print test can be slid off the bed before the bed starts to cool so I almost never even need to use the scraper.

I'm starting to feel like I got a bad coating on this bed.  With the original glass it always just worked, so I'm frustrated that the "new improved" glass is turning out to be such a disaster.  I've been battling this problem for four days now and cannot complete any prints taller than a few mm before they break loose.  One suggestion I ran across was to lightly rough up the surface with some 1000-grit sandpaper.  Seems like it might give some bite to the coating but at this point I don't know what else to try.  Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
Shdwdrgn
(@shdwdrgn)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

An update to this issue...  As a sanity check I swapped my old glass bed back in again last night.  There are heavily used areas where just about nothing sticks any more, but printing my test pieces in the lesser-used regions quickly produced excellent results (after re-leveling the bed for the new glass, of course).  Even before I had the leveling perfect the test prints were requiring the use of the scraper to get them off the bed again.

For testing I started with my usual 5-point bed leveling test print.  Once that was close I switched to a solid 20mm cube which I print with zero infill and no top layers.  Even for this small an item I have to let the bed cool for a couple minutes or it requires a lot of force with the scraper to get the part loose from the bed.  THIS is what I was expecting from the new bed as well, but I have to say whatever was changed in the coating is a huge disappointment.

Unfortunately this was actually bought for me as a holiday gift LAST year, so it's far too late to return it to Creality, but as far as I can tell the new bed is not useful for anything.  Guess it's time to start experimenting with other bed materials unless someone has any other ideas for me to try.  I don't use tape, glue sticks or hair spray -- there should be no need on the Creality glass to use anything other than 91% IPA to occasionally clean it.

ReplyQuote
AJL
 AJL
(@ajl)
Active Member Registered

@shdwdrgn I had the same issues with the new glass, despite IPA cleaning etc, so started using 3DLAC.  I had to give the glass a good scrub after using it, so I cleaned the glass with washing up liquid, a nailbrush and very hot water. After rinsing, I let it air dry in a rack. After that it stuck perfectly without glues, so much so that large prints had to be frozen before they would release.

I did find that my 99% IPA seemed to leave a residue behind, so that didn't help.

ReplyQuote