Forum

Filament stop feedi…

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Filament stop feeding in the middle of the print.

7 Posts
7 Users
1 Likes
Asubhan
(@asubhan)
Topic starter  

I am new to 3D printing. I bought my first machine Ender v2. I am printing the cat model that came with in SD card. The machine works fine until we get to 35 to 40 percent. The filament stop feeding and machine keeps running. I have to manually remove the filament from white tube and feed through again. (Bed temp 60 and nozzle temp 200) using TECBEARS PLA 3D Printer Filament 1.75mm

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member

@asubhan Did the extruder gear keep rotating when the filament stop feeding? You can remove and push filament in again so I guess the nozzle is not clogged. It is an extruder issue.

ReplyQuote
paladin776
(@paladin776)

I have the same issue. The two gears (toothed bronze and pulley) are still rotating and just the filament stop feeding in. I replaced a new nozzle and and the feeding tube and changed another roll of filament but still the same result. How can we fix the extruder issue? Thanks in advance

kbailes reacted
ReplyQuote
NateZLG
(@natezlg)

Is the filament hard to remove after it stops extruding? If the extruder fan is under performing it’ll allow heat up into the heat brake; the filament gets soft and jams up in the heat brake. It can require a couple of pliers to get the filament back out of the tube because the diameter is increased at the end.

Other causes can be clogs, or a damaged nozzle tip. Swap out nozzle to see if it’s different.

The bowden tube needs to be pressed firmly down into the extruder, gaps can allow filament to seep into the heat brake and clog things up.

Tubes can get baked or worn out internally. Some people grease their bowden tubes. Others upgrade to Capricorn tubing and get better results.

ReplyQuote
Larry Dinkel
(@larry-dinkel)

I’m new at 3D printing too. Much to learn. I ran into that problem. To make it work I babe sit it out.  Helped it along. Your issue reads like a filament feed problem.

Background. My Bro bought me the Ender 3 pro as a gift 2 months ago. I knew this was a huge task to build. I looked up info build tips. Ho My! I built it slowly to make it correct. The built-in samples worked. Small projects that worked. So I took a big step in trying to make the Hairy Lion. Still working on it. The wall keeps failing.

ReplyQuote
bduares
(@bduares)

There are several things that could be happening here:

1) The extruder arm tension may be set too high, or there may even be a crack in the plastic extruder casing/arm if you are still using the stock Ender 3 parts. When first printing a piece ensure the tension screw is adjusted so that it is tight enough that the gear can pull the filament back and forth but not so tight that it make a “clicking” sound.

The stock Ender 3 extruder parts are plastic and will crack over time and use. Replacing them with a metal extruder is highly recommended, and while the newer Ender 3 stepper motors use a pressed-onto-the-shaft extruder gear a Dremel with a thin cutoff disc will take that gear right off and allow you to use the much better gear that comes in the metal extruder kit. 

2) The PTFE tube may not be all the way down into the hotend. It needs to reach the nozzle. If there is any gap between the PTFE tube and nozzle this can cause a buildup of overheated plastic to form inside the hotend and block it up. Then the filament at the extruder end gets stripped because it can’t get pushed forward due to the blockage. Overheated filament can no longer melt and becomes hard and solid. It will need to be pushed out through the hotend from the top after removal of the nozzle at the bottom and Bowden tube at the top. 

3) The hotend temperature is too low. If the filament is not at the proper temperature the plastic will not be able to be pressed through the tiny nozzle exit hole at a speed that the extruder can handle, causing the extruder gear to chew up the filament. Raising the nozzle temperature in 5C increments until it prints smoothly may help. Each printer hotend and brand/spool of filament will probably like it’s own specific printing temperature, and that temperature may even change in the same spool due to humidity affecting the filament over time. Once you have a decent overall hotend temperature figured out for your printer and type of filament it should then be a case of merely adjusting +/- a few degrees as needed.

4) Printing speed can play a part in chewed up filament. Speed set too fast and filament can’t melt and get through the nozzle before there is a backlog that keeps the filament’s extruder end in place long enough to get chewed up by the ever turning gear. 

There are other factors possible in chewed up filament, but those should be the main causes.

ReplyQuote
MM3DMaker
(@mm3dmaker)

@asubhan Dont use filament sensor, remove it

ReplyQuote