Clear all

Ender3 V2 Glass bed and Firmware mod

amar
 amar
(@amar)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Greetings,

I am having Ender3 V2 as my first printer since last 10 days and learning basic things. I appreciate Creality for the build and look. Thanks Creality!

Have printed the calibration cube and the bed level tests. While printing the Levelling_Check2 from

I see the circles in center row are not solid. Those on the outer sides are solid and good. Tried bed leveling many times but have the same result.

Part 1: Glass bed issue

I level the bed approximately above the leveling knobs and the bed heated to default PLA settings. After many prints of leveling check, I observed that the glass bed is warped at the center in the region where it is clipped to the heated bed. I can slide a paper between the glass and the aluminum heated bed from all corners up to the place of clipping.

Can this can be overcome by clipping the glass at all four corners instead of center only???

Part 2: Firmware mod

So i checked online and found that Marlin offers 'manual mesh bed leveling' feature. Being from electronics and embedded system design background, I quickly set up all tools for modding the firmware to enable manual mesh bed leveling in source code released by Creality. But got an error that says Marlin\src\HAL\HAL_STM32F1\../../inc/SanityCheck.h:1317:6: error: #error "LCD_BED_LEVELING requires a programmable LCD controller." Any help on this???

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)
Reputable Member Customer

you probably have many questions and curiosity about this printer or 3D printing. 

1. I couldn't open the link you attached as it shows 404. you can provide a pic of your printed part and I would know what's going on.

2. from your observation, we guess that the glass/aluminum plate is not flat. If the glass is warped and it impacts bed levelling and print quality, you can ask Creality to sent you a new one. 

3. it's good to know embedded systems and coding. you will benefit from it soon. But it's too early to start editing the firmware. 

ReplyQuote
amar
 amar
(@amar)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@eli-liu

1. Here goes the corrected link

the file is used is under in the 'thing files' tab named Levelling_Check2.stl

Will share photos of print once I get back home from work.

2. I will try clipping at all four ends to check the print quality if it improves.

3. While its true to be early for editing the firmware, I am curious to know if my choice to go for V2 is correct 🤔 . I had dilemma between Ender3 pro and the V2, but went for V2 for the offered updates (especially the 32bit  board and Display). And having to know that both have firmware source open and can be modded (and of course see many mods over the internet, but not for V2) went for V2. Earlier I was on the way to have Ender3 Pro and a 32bit upgrade. Now realized that for V2 its a bit(!) 🧐  difficult since any mod that require change on display, requires an update in the display too. Am I correct??

4. Can I expect a firmware release from Creality with 'manual mesh bed leveling' enabled with facility to input the mesh size?

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)

1. you can run the test file and check the bed's flatness and determine if you need a replacement.

2. 99% of the glass bed is in good condition and your levelling skill plays an important role in the first layer print quality.

3. V2 is a much newer machine than 3pro. SO, more info and ideas for 3pro on the internet. V2 is more friendly to new users since it has fewer bugs ( if you don't DIY it) and looks better. You are absolutely right about the firmware. it will be more difficult to mod touchscreen-based printers, and V2.

4. the answer is unknown. If there are enough users ask for it, I believe they will.

ReplyQuote
amar
 amar
(@amar)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@eli-liu

As I said earlier, I tried clipping at all four corners instead of two clips in center only. And I coudl successfully print the bed leveling file I shared. It seems the glass warped due to clipping at center only.

Attached is the picture of finished print. Before slicing I scaled it to 85% from original to avoid the part cooling fan guide hitting the binding clip I installed.

One more issue, even after setting 'Print Speed' to 50mm/s in Cura before slicing, while printing it still shows 100 on screen. I have to manually change it to 50 from 'Tune' menu. After setting it manually from 'Tune' menu only the print appears to slow down or else it seems no effect to settings in Cura.

Am I missing something to set or its not a thing to worry about?

This post was modified 7 months ago 3 times by amar

ReplyQuote
Eli liu
(@eli-liu)

@amar glass is ok and what you did are all good. you can stay with the 4 clips.

it's not an issue at all. 100 on the display means percentage, not the feed rate. A miss leading on the screen info 

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up