Forum

Ender “3X” – firmwa…

Notifications
Clear all

Ender "3X" – firmware, and how is it really different?

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
clh
 clh
(@clh)
Topic starter  

Just bought an Ender “3X”.  This model:

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/official-creality-ender-3x-3d-printer?variant=31225394593865

Although I didn’t buy it directly from Creality.

First, what firmware do I use?  There is no mention of the “X” in any of the firmware versions, only the base Ender 3, 3 Pro, 3 Max, or 3 V2.  Should I just use the base 3 firmware for the 3X?  I did check and I have a 4.2.2 board, and I have not installed any other upgrades yet.

Secondly, how do I know for sure that I got the “X” model?  I’m a little afraid that the vendor maybe sent me the regular base “3” model instead of the X.  I’ve done a bunch of internet searching and can’t find any details on this.

There is no mention of “X” on the box or anything else inside the box. It DID come with the glass plate, but did NOT come with the extra 5 nozzles that it’s supposed to.

How do I know if I got the upgraded “MK-10 extruder” that the “X” is supposed to come with?  How is this different from the regular extruder on the base 3 model?  In my internet searches, there seems to be a lot of disagreement and no firm answer on whether this even really a thing and that it may in fact be exactly the same as the base Ender 3 model despite the advertisement.

What is this “V-Slot with POM wheel” design that is advertised on the “X” and, again, how is this different from the base Ender 3 model, so I can tell whether the unit I received has this or not?

How do I know if it has the Resume function for power loss, besides physically trying it by unplugging the power cord in the middle of a print?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!!

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
CYT
 CYT
(@cyt)
Eminent Member

@clh Hi, Ender 3X is just an ender3 printer plus the glass bed and some other accessories. The machine you are buying is exactly the same as the ender 3 printers. There’s no difference between these two. 

kevin reacted
ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member

@clh Hi Bro. Take it easy. Do not be tricked by “X”, it is not a machine type, just a sales package.
Ender-3X= Ender-3 + 1*Tempered Glass + 5 Nozzles
If you do not get the tempered bed and nozzles, go for customer service. 

ReplyQuote
clh
 clh
(@clh)
Topic starter  

Thanks folks!  So now I’m questioning the marketing of this.  The advertising leads one to believe that, beyond the glass plate and extra nozzles, The “X” has several enhanced features that the base 3 does not have, the upgraded MK-10 extruder, the v-slot whatever that is, the resume feature.

So I paid extra thinking I was getting at least a few “better” components than what the base 3 has.

So are you saying that the X does not in fact have any different pieces, particularly the MK-8 vs MK-10 extruder, or a different board version to support the resume feature, than the base Ender 3?  I.e., the base model 3 ALSO has those features anyway?

If that’s true, I feel like that’s deceptive advertising.  If the glass plate and nozzles are truly the only difference, I think I could have bought the base model and bought the glass plate and nozzles separately for less than the price difference between the 3 and 3x.

ReplyQuote
CYT
 CYT
(@cyt)
Eminent Member

@clh Hi, I think it depends on where you buy the stuff. In our Creality3dofficial store, the product description shows what’s included in Ender 3X, which is shown in Kevin’s picture. Thus, I am actually not sure about the upgrade you are talking about. 

I mean, maybe the website where you bought the ender 3x is different than us. I encourage you to double check with them. 

ReplyQuote
clh
 clh
(@clh)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @cyt

@clh Hi, I think it depends on where you buy the stuff. In our Creality3dofficial store, the product description shows what’s included in Ender 3X, which is shown in Kevin’s picture. Thus, I am actually not sure about the upgrade you are talking about. 

I mean, maybe the website where you bought the ender 3x is different than us. I encourage you to double check with them. 

Except that the description of the 3X even on the Creality3dofficial store also says (emphasis mine):

• Advanced Extruder Technology: Upgraded extruder greatly reduces plugging risk and bad extrusion; V-Shape with POM wheels makes it move noiseless, smoothly, and durable.

This makes it sound like these are extra features over the regular 3.  Based on what all of you are saying, there is in fact no “upgraded” anything on the X as far as the machine itself goes.

I was also partially basing my purchase of the 3X on these two articles from all3dp.com:

https://all3dp.com/1/creality-ender-3x-3d-printer-review-specs/

https://all3dp.com/1/creality-ender-3-vs-ender-3-pro-3d-printer-shootout/

The author of those articles also clearly took the advertised specs of the 3X to imply the actual machine for the 3X was somehow an “upgrade” over the base Ender 3.  I realize that site isn’t associated with Creality, but it furthers my assertation that the advertising/marketing on the 3X is confusing at least, if not outright misleading.  (I have now posted comments on these articles indicating that the article is incorrect.)

In any case, I guess I have my answer to my original question.  I do appear to have gotten the “X” package since I did get the glass plate with it, but it was somehow missing the 5 extra nozzles.  I’m trying to work with the vendor I purchased it from to get the nozzles.

ReplyQuote