Ender 3 Pro V2.4.7 ...

Notifications
Clear all

Ender 3 Pro V2.4.7 Z Offset

meltdown
(@meltdown)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

I'm still having some issues with my new board and the BL touch. I was able to create a firmware from the marlin site that works for my printer. I loaded it up and I'm able to auto home. When I try to move the z axis so I can offset it, the printer won't let me go below 0 and I'm nowhere near the bed. I can't accurately set the z offset without this number. Should I try some trial and error? I think that will take forever. 

I was trying to use printrun to send commands to it and I get the printer connected, but it won't home from printrun. Any ideas? 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Hot Bed Admin

@meltdown Hi bro. Before you set the Z-offset, you should make sure the Z is 0. So I have no idea why you said that "the printer won't let me go below 0". Sorry if my understanding is wrong.

ReplyQuote
meltdown
(@meltdown)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin When I home the printer it raises itself 10mm and that is what the info screen says. When I move the z axis, it shows it is at 10mm, so I move it to 0 and it is still nowhere near the bed. I know I can move the z offset below zero to compensate for that, but I have no idea what that offset is. With the stock ender board you could move the z axis below zero (IIRC) and that was what you applied to the z offset. With the new marlin bugfix there's no way to figure out what the offset needs to be with a BL touch.  

ReplyQuote
3nderUser
(@3nderuser)
Extruder Registered

@meltdown Yes, that's how it goes..  Set your Z-offset to -2.0, home again and see how far your nozzle is from the bed..  Too close make -1.5..  Still too far away make -3.0..
measure it with piece of paper like you normaly would do without BLtouch, but use Z-offset to get right distance..
Only have to do this once to find right offset for your printer. But when changing nozzle or different building plate that Z-offset changes.

There is no standard Z-offset value, every printer is different.

So there is a way to figure out what the offset needs to be with a BL touch.  

ReplyQuote
meltdown
(@meltdown)
Nozzle Registered
Topic starter  

@3nderuser

ok, thanks. The values help. It was more streamlined with earlier firmware and there was an actual process for doing it. I wonder why this got taken out. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Hot Bed Admin

@meltdown Seems you solved your problem. @3nderuser is right! You have to use Z-offset to adjust the distance between the hotend and build plate.

ReplyQuote
Scroll Up