[Solved] Ender 3 - Pro - click sound - firmware-question #1000
sorry to bother you with my questions. I´m running a Ender 3-Pro now since one week without much experience in the topic at all. Not have much issues detected yet, so I suppose it was a good start from my point of view.
Unfortunately I realised on day one that there is an odd click-sound comming from the screen while printing when the display changes from overview to settings and vice versa. I swear there is no user activity causing the continious switch between the screens.
From a wise person I learned: "The simple rule is: if your mainboard is 4.2.2, then the firmware name should include 4.2.2; If you have a BL touch, the firmware name should include BL touch. We normally flash the latest firmware."
Although life told me on the hard way as well: "Never change a running system."
Current situation: Ender 3-Pro, board 4.2.2 (and version information is: 0.0.6 30 May 2020), standard LCD, no other fancy stuff like BLTouch, etc. .
So I was thinking about for an update of the firmware and got confused:
I found two versions which might suite to the printer and it's set up:
* 14 August 2020: Ender-3 Pro_4.2.2-TMC2208, Marlin 2.0.1-V1.0.1
* 18 Sepember 2020: Ender-3 Pro (V4 Mainboard ), Marlin2.0.1 – V0.0.5 ( Default Firmware)
-> I´m a bit lost here because I found in "Ender-3 pro 4.2.2 mainboard firmware（32 bit）.zip" the entry "Ender-3 Pro- Marlin2.0.1 - V0.0.5.bin" with from date 16 January 2021. 😱
I have some questions:
1. Will an update stop the sound machine?
2. Which firmware to choose best?
3. What is meant by "V4 Mainboard", all the boards above 1.x.?
4. Why the <beep> has the latter entry for the firmware a lower version number V0.0.5 ?
5. Is the continiously switch of the screen while printing a feature or a bug?
Many thanks for your time and hints.
P.S. I don´t think this is the same issue like this:
@tellina Not at all. I'm glad you're here to talk about your issue.
1. First, you need to figure out what caused the screen automatic switchover without any operation.
Is the wiring connection loose? Are LCD screen screws too tight? Then you focus on the firmware or hardware issues.
2. 18 September 2020: Ender-3 Pro (V4 Mainboard ), Marlin2.0.1 – V0.0.5 ( Default Firmware) is the one you should try first.
3. V4 Mainboard means the mainboard over 4.X.X version. Current Creality has V4.2.2 and V4.2.7 mainboards.
4. It is a bug, if you did not touch your screen, it should stay on one page.
@kevin: Hi Kevin, many thanks for your immediate response and your explainations.
Ok. Oh, never thought that the screws might be the source of the issue, I like easy solutions. :-). Maybe it is the wire to connect the LCD and the board. I fixed it to the frame.
And after this I give the firmware update a try.
@tellina I am glad to help. Sometimes static can also cause the display to behave in unusual ways.
@kevin: Hi Kevin, thanks for your response.
Reading all entries w.r.t. firmware in this forum here and the trouble to update it I have various findings:
1. I´m not alone. Because when trying to update the firmware I had the result that the original version 0.0.6 (30 May 2020) went down to version 0.0.4 (25 April 2020). And after first "update" I just do not see any changes in case I choose a different firmware file. (Same SD card as before, FAT32, 2GB, renaming of file to XXXXX.bin ).
The SD Card is recognized with read and write access, because a file "EEPROM.DAT" is created after the "update".
2. Even if I´m updating some firmware successfully, the Marlin version will be an outdated version 2.0.1., at the time of writing Marlin is 2.0.7. This was not clear to me. If I´m looking for a more up to date version, I might have to look here https://marlin.crc.id.au/
3. Customer support from Creality does not exist, if I contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. The response is always the same. Standard mail with useless content stating: "In case of any problems pls. contact the seller." In fact a seller will not provide any firmware updates as per my understanding.
4. Im puzzeld about where to look for information here and/or https://forum.creality.com ?
I’m not sure if I’m jumping on someone else’s thread or if this is a new post, apology in advance.
Ender 3 Pro, only a week old
I have similar problem where the screen keeps changing from general info screen to the command screen and visa versa (please see attached video). I have checked for loose connections and the tightness of the LCD display screws etc.
Can someone advise what I should do next?
@stever As I mentioned before, the static can also cause the display to behave in unusual ways. Could you please disassembly the screen from the metal cover and put it away from the printer. If it works better, that means the static caused this.
@kevin I found the fix to my machine. I had made a cover for the controller circuit board, when fitted the screws no longer touched the mounting pads on the circuit board. The pillars didn’t make contact either as they had paint on the face. I just filed off the paint and reassembled. The circuit board is now grounded and the machine no longer switches and beeps from info screen to control screen and visa versa.
I hope this fix helps others, I found the problem to be very irritating.
@stever: Hi Steve, thanks for sharing your experience as well from my side.
Today I removed screws of the display and put the LCD just in front of the printer (while printing).
This stopped the clicking and switching of the screen immediately.
After this I placed the display back again to the frame, but only with one screw and some more space between the frame and the backside of the LCD. And it was also "silent", so it is definitively the static.
Cheers & happy printing,