Forum

Notifications
Clear all

when the hotend starts to heat up. the printer starts beeping

jendass
(@jendass)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I have about one month Ender 3 MAX. the display shows the hotend temperature -14. as soon as I turn on the heating, the printer beeps.

I tried to upload another firmware, but it didn't help.
Do you have any advice?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@jendass Check if your thermistor at the mainboard is disconnected or has a broken wire.

If it is connected disconnect it and check it with an ohmmeter. It is a 100k NTC type thermistor...so at room temperature, it will read 90k to 100k ohms. the -14 reading indicates it is infinite or open.

The most likely place for a wire break is over at the hot end so check it there...2 white wires with what looks like a glass bead on the end.

ReplyQuote
jendass
(@jendass)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply. Yes, the lead wire is broken. 

can i try to weld it or do i have to get a new one?So that it does not affect the resistance

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@jendass I don't know how to solder. I choose to replace it with a new one. It's not expensive anyway ? LOL.

ReplyQuote
tk10is
(@tk10is)
New Member Registered

@jendass I have the same exact thing happening now. What did you do exactly to fix? Was it easy?

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Trusted Member Registered

Just buy a new one - they're cheap and readily available. Trying to repair these tiny wires is frustrating.

ReplyQuote
jlmagar
(@jlmagar)
New Member Registered

Hi, I have the same problem, talked to my printer seller and confirmed it is the thermistor.

In my case when the hotend was heating about 50ºC or above, it beeped, restarted and then appeared -14ºC on screen.

I disconected the thermistor and it showed -14ºC...

The seller is sending me a new one from China, so i am afraid it will take some time to come, so i have a question for you all...

Are all the thermistor compatible?. I have seen one in Amazon that says it is compatible with Ender 3 and Ender 3 Pro.

Is it valid then for the Ender 3 MAX?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Trusted Member Registered

Yes, the Max shares many components with the Ender 3, including the hotend, heater and thermistor.

Did the display show reasonable temps up to the 50C? It seems odd that a thermistor failure would do that.

ReplyQuote
Saraqwe
(@saraqwe)
New Member Registered

The seller is sending me a new one from China, so i am afraid it will take some time to come, so i have a question for you all...

ReplyQuote