Notifications
Clear all

Printer would not resume after filament runout swap

C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I picked up my Ender 3 Max 2 days ago and I've been running a number of tests on it. The latest one was an intentional filament runout so I could try out the swap functionality. The printer successfully detected the runout and switched into the swap mode. It unloaded the filament successfully and then I successfully loaded the new filament down to the hotend. I clicked the button to restart the print. It started the purge and then stopped and then it just sat there "Please wait... Heating the hotend" or something to that effect. The temperature is set to 205 for the print and it would heat up to 205 and then it would drop back down to 200 and back up. It ended up doing that for about 5 minutes before I pulled the plug. Since the runout raises the print head I couldn't resume that print. 

Any thoughts as to what could have been the problem starting the print back up? The knob did not respond to inputs and it just sat there on the screen. Only options I had were to wait or shut it down. 5 minutes seemed far too long. 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@c0untdem0net Please wait. I remember that before the printer starts to resume, the printer seems to freeze for a few mins. 

On the other hand, the temperature of the hot end did not reach a given value. Could it be a PID control issue?

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Maybe I didn't wait long enough. The printer was hitting the requested temperature but as it hit the temp it would then shut off the heater and it would fall back down to 200 where it would turn it back on and it would climb back up to 205 and repeat. I'm thinking I didn't follow the procedure properly and got it into a strange state. I had a little trouble getting the new filament through the runout sensor so it was on/off/on/off a number of times before I was successful. I'm currently printing a 2 day print which I'll likely have to do a filament swap again so we'll see if the second time is the charm. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@c0untdem0net Ok. good luck, I have asked the Creality team about your problem, and they sent me a firmware. However, I do not think it is a firmware issue.

If you got any updates please feel free to let me know.

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

My 2 day print is nearly done and I didn't have to swap filament. Once it's done I'll run a few tests to see if I can successfully do a filament runout swap and report back

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin I appreciate your help. So it seems like it's not just the runout situation but any of the swap filament functions. I also attempted to do the system provided change filament feature and it did the same thing. It pulled the old filament and told me to insert the new filament and hit the button. I inserted the new filament and pushed it down to the nozzle and then hit the button. At this point the printer sat on the heating screen for more than 7 minutes before I killed the power and restarted it. Here's a video of what I am seeing.

The printer came with 1.0.1.8 firmware from Dec 19 2020 if that helps. The 2 day print came out flawlessly so really happy with the print quality right out of the box. 

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@c0untdem0net  This is the bin file Creality sent me. There are many odd behaviors on printer sometimes and we can not explain it 😥 😥 

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for that. I've been unable to login for the last few days as the login screen wasn't showing. I  did try flashing that firmware but it appears to be identical to the one that was on there already. I'm going to try to build my own version of the firmware and see if that can resolve it. 

Thanks

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@c0untdem0net I am sorry to hear that. OK, maybe that is a good idea, looking forward to your updates here.

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin This issue is definitely in the firmware. I've got the 2.0.7.2 marlin firmware on it now and the load/unload and runout sensor work perfectly

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Prominent Member Admin

@c0untdem0net Never thought it would be firmware. Sometimes I am very confused with the 3D printers. 😪 😪 

ReplyQuote
teddlesruss
(@teddlesruss)
New Member Registered

I had the same issue (- almost -) but definitely the issue was with the pause|resume routine. I wanted to change filament colours partway through a print and clicked through to pause print, the head froze in the spot it stopped and never moved for over five minutes. I swapped fillies and hit resume and nothing happened, I waited for almost five minutes more and then powered it off and back on - and it resumed...

I had time to get in with the sidecutters and trim away the drool blob, and the rest of the print finished pretty much perfectly using power off resume. Still have no idea what happened but a firmware update is on the cards anyway as I've got a 3DTouch I want to add, so hopefully a new clean copy of Marlin will fix it. 

Also - I don't seem to have a filament change option on the CE3PRO, but then I didn't spend too long looking for one, there's a load of menus that change depending on the operation at the time so I still have a load to learn.

This post was modified 1 month ago by teddlesruss

kevin liked
ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@teddlesruss I followed the tutorial in the other thread on building the marlin 2.0. for the max and the change filament works great. I've had to do it a number of times to switch colors. You will need to figure out what board version you have so you compile it correctly. There are also prebuilt binaries in the thread that work for both board versions but there were a few things I didn't like in how it was working so compiled it myself. 

Good luck. 

ReplyQuote