Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Filmament Change on Every Print

mittyoz
(@mittyoz)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I received my Ender 3 Max during the week and have been learning my way around the machine.  It has a very annoying bug though, in that at the start of almost every print it stops and does a filament change.  I simply can't find how to turn this off.  I've googled it it says it's a setting in Cura but When I check my Cura the option isn't there.  Has anyone else had this and found a way around it?  I'm running firmware 1.0.1.8

ReplyQuote
Starkweather
(@starkweather)
New Member Registered

It's a known issue with the the max. I also encountered it, and heard that updating the firmware can fix it. That didn't work for me, so I just ended up disconnecting the sensor. You can contact support and ask for a new one if all else fails, but I never bothered. I don't like pausing, changing filament, then resuming prints anyway, as its caused artifacts and/or a pronounced layer line in the resume area with some of my other printers.

Way around not having the sensor is to simply not print something on a spool that hasn't got enough filament. Have a scale nearby, weigh the spool, subtract the weight of the holder (find that by weighing an empty of the same brand, or a full 1kg spool and whatever extra weight beyond 1kg is the spool) and then you'll know what you're working with for your next print, or if you'll need to set up a new spool. 

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Starkweather

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Trusted Member Registered

I have never heard of this as a "known issue" with the Max. Simply, the filament sensor is indicating that there's no filament present. You should be able to disable the filament sensor in the menus if that's the problem but check that the wires are properly connected on both ends.

ReplyQuote
knat
 knat
(@knat)
New Member Registered

@holmes4 

Hi

I have same problem, last year it was OK, in January it started with filament change every time the machine has been turned off, I think it has started after any firmware updating it has done from itself ?? But it is very annoying, any tip ??

ReplyQuote
morngrym
(@morngrym)
New Member Registered

i just got the 3d ender max and did a first print of a test cube 20 mm. its my first time ever trying a 3d printer but the first 3 or 4 mm it looks like it was putting out too much filament and looks like it bubbled on the outside edges. It then stopped and said filament change and backed out the filament which i fed back in and started printing again but then its as if it missed a few layers of print. it continued to print a little over half way(around 12mm) everything looks pretty good then happened again at about 18mm through, each time missing a few layers when resuming. i noticed that when looking and moving the spool around (i used the stuff given with the printer) its not super straight and as i was refeeding on one of the stops the detector would go out as a part that was kinda bent. any suggestions that i can look at? or is there a setting to turn on sensor to see if that is the whole issue. i tried looking around in the menu but didnt see anything

thanks

ReplyQuote