Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Filament broke and is stuck in tube, can't extract it or get tube out of hot-end.

Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

The filament broke in the middle of a print. I could pull the tube out of the extruder fine, but I couldn't pull the filament from the tube, nor could I push it through the nozzle. I have tried pulling the tube from the hot-end the same way I did at the extruder end, but it won't come out and I don't want to risk breaking anything by pulling too hard. I already scratched the bed a little pushing down on the nozzle.

What should I do?

I attached a photo of what Im working with.

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Jeff

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@jeff Are you pushing and pulling the filament when the nozzle is cool? I recommend you install the tube connector back and heat the nozzle temp to 190-200 first. Then consider pulling the filament out.

Here is a video about the Nozzles & Bowden Tubes and clog. You will fully understand the structure of the nozzle and tubes.

ReplyQuote
Matthew
(@mbbrewerca)
Active Member Contributor

Based on your photo, I'd suggest the same as @kevin.  I would suggest heating the hot end first and using some pliers to pull the filament out.  If that doesn't work, I'd suggest doing the following:

1. Reattach the connector to the hot end.
  2. Bring the hot end up to the print temperature for the filament. 
  3. Take a piece of filament and use it to push the other one through until some of the filament starts running from the nozzle. 
  4. Remove the connector and pull the filament out.

Be sure to let us know if it works!  And if not, we can see if we can further troubleshoot it for you.

kevin liked
ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@kevin

I tried pushing it through when heated and that did not work. I tried pulling it out cooled. I'll try pulling it out heated next, thanks.

This post was modified 3 months ago by Jeff

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kevin

I recommend you install the tube connector back and heat the nozzle temp to 190-200 first. Then consider pulling the filament out.

This worked, thanks a lot!

Matthew liked
ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@jeff ? Glad to see that. Enjoy your printing.

ReplyQuote