Clear all

[Sticky] Ender3 MAX and Creality Sprite Hotend

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Jslwelch
(@jslwelch)
Topic starter  

So, I’m looking to increase print temp (up to 290C) so I can potentially use Polycarbonate (PC) and Nylon, as well as getting rid of that lousy low temp out-gassing bowden tube, so more accurate TPU printing becomes more of a reality. 

A search of all that’s out there led me to the Sprite Extruder.  Ordered off Aliexpress and got it about a month later.  This is the Creality Sprite Extruder for the Ender 3 MAX.

You would think that Creality would support something they offer for purchase, with their name on it, said to be used on a printer they manufacture.   But, NOOOOOO.

For anyone thinking of doing this, beware of the issues.  Yes, Creality told me this is all not their problem.  I call it really crappy product support.  Actually, it’s NO product support from where I’m standing.

The short pigtail that goes between the extruder and the CR Touch is not included, nor does Creality offer it individually for sale.  However the same old lead that goes between the 4.2.2 board and the BR Touch can be used, if you can handle the wonky cable management.

There is also no firmware from Creality to support this Sprite extruder on an Ender3 MAX.

And because of this, the CR Touch cannot be used for bed leveling since it is positioned differently on the printhead (with no way to modify the X and Y axis firmware offsets).  But, it can be used for the center of bed initial Z set when “homing” (it’s only current use).

The firmware also sets the max print temps that can be obtained, so the extruder cannot be used to it’s advertised capabilities, which is 300C. 

Consider yourself warned.

ReplyQuote
winrun
(@winrun)

@jslwelch Hello, the position of the CRTouch is easily adjusted with Pronterface or better the firmware Jvers but for this one you need a V2 screen

ReplyQuote
Jslwelch
(@jslwelch)
Topic starter  

I’m using Printrun – 2.0.0rc8, and I’ve seen nothing in the documentation that allows setting the offset?  What am I missing?

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Trusted Member

Why not build your own firmware, so you can set the max temp and probe offsets any way you like? I have a thread in this forum on the process.

ReplyQuote
crowninvesting
(@crowninvesting)

Same problem, I’m returning

ReplyQuote