Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Ender 3 Max 4.2.7 silent board firmware

Page 3 / 3

holmes4
(@holmes4)
Trusted Member Registered

I figured out the Marlin changes on my own, and now have the Max working with the 4.2.7 board, BLTouch and Marlin 2.0.7. Easier than I expected.

ReplyQuote
Jerry3dprint
(@jerry3dprint)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@holmes4

Nice!  Glad to hear!  What do you think of the board compared to the 4.2.2 board?

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)

Too soon to say, really. As I wrote earlier I didn't notice much noise from the old board. The fans drown out everything. I also enabled Unified Bed Leveling, which I have never used before and takes some learning. 

ReplyQuote
Jslwelch
(@jslwelch)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4  Awesome!  Care to share the Marlin file?

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)

I will, once I am happy with the results. Not there yet. Some weird issue with extrusion is bugging me.

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)

ReplyQuote
tws4711
(@tws4711)
New Member Registered

Hi, I Need some help, I have upgraded to  4.2.7 mainboard on my Ender 3 Max, but have not found any firmware that does not cause problems with the Z axis making loud stepper noise, or my Max wont auto home, keep getting a reset message, as you can probably tell I'm new to 3d printing and am struggling, any help would be appreciated,

thanks Trev

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)

Did you try the firmware in the link I posted above? It worked fine for me. If you have specified the wrong driver chip, you'll get behavior similar to what you describe.

ReplyQuote
ItsMeMasih
(@itsmemasih)
New Member Registered

@jerry3dprint 

Can you share your 4.2.7 configuration files or the complied firmware for the Ender 3 Max?  Did you just start with the Ender 3 Pro and add BLtouch, modify the bed size, and enable the filament runout sensor?  If so, I think I can get that up and running on my end.  I've downloaded the E3 MAX configuration files for the latest Marlin build but they don't specify if it's a 4.2.2 or 4.2.7 board. I believe the 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 use different drivers, so I would assume these need to be specified differently.

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)

You select between the 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 boards by specifying MOTHERBOARD as BOARD_CREALITY_V427 rather than BOARD_CREALITY_V4. That's the only difference as far as that goes.

ReplyQuote
ItsMeMasih
(@itsmemasih)
New Member Registered

@holmes4 Thanks for the confirmation!  I was worried that I had to change the stepper driver defines since the 4.2.2 board has different drivers but I'm looking further down the configuration.h file and all 4 steppers (X,Y,Z, and E) are defined as: TMC2208_STANDALONE which should be correct for the 4.2.7 board.  I've downloaded the latest bugfix marlin and configuration files for the E3 MAX and I'm using your guide to compile the firmware for BLtouch (CR touch) with a 4.2.7 board.  The plan is to use Bilinear bed leveling instead of UBL since I don't really swap my build plate and I figure a 9 point Bilinear bed leveling should be enough to get me up and running.  I do have some qualms about this printer: 

1.  I'm coming from an Ender 5 core XY printer and while I didn't bother to do a dual Z axis upgrade with that printer since the print bed was small and I printed reinforcements, I've ordered a dual z upgrade kit (with a second stepper and lead screw instead of a belt system) for this printer since no amount of eccentric nut adjustments can keep the gantry level.

2.  Creality has an official 2.0.x firmware released on their download support site for the 4.2.7 board with BLtouch support but during bed leveling, the 3/9 point measured is off the build plate.  I don't think they used the correct probe offset points based on where the BLtouch sensor mounts are located on this printer.  Pretty shoddy customer support if you ask me.

ReplyQuote
ItsMeMasih
(@itsmemasih)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @holmes4

You select between the 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 boards by specifying MOTHERBOARD as BOARD_CREALITY_V427 rather than BOARD_CREALITY_V4. That's the only difference as far as that goes.

Success!! I was able to compile a .bin file for my Ender 3 max with BLTouch on a 4.2.7 board thanks again for your guide and a few others as a sanity check.  I used most of your settings with the exception of Bilinear bed leveling instead of UBL.  I've ordered a CR10 dual z axis kit and I'll be installing that next and there's always the option of adding G34 auto Z leveling for dual stepper motors but I'll see how well it prints with just a parallel dual stepper motor connection. 

holmes4 liked
ReplyQuote
MM3DMaker
(@mm3dmaker)
Active Member Registered

@jerry3dprint Use custom firmware by th3d

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3