Notifications
Clear all

Building Marlin 2.0 for the Ender 3 Max

Page 4 / 5

AlConn
(@alconn)
New Member Registered

@holmes4 Well, if you succeed appreciate the Marlin base you used and the configuration files ( h. and advanced h.

ReplyQuote
RoninP
(@roninp)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4 Yes, please, just the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h of the bltouch variety for my purposes. Though it sounds as if there's general interest for both. Thanks again

ReplyQuote
MikeinCA
(@mikeinca)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @holmes4

@roninp, you want ALL the source code? Really all you should need is the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h. Which variation do you want (board version, BLTouch?)

@rb9999, yes, you can always revert to the Creality firmware. 

Thank you for all your work on this.  I am also struggling with getting the v4.2.7 silent board to work with the BLTouch v3.1 on the dedicated 5pin port.  

I tried the FW from Creality and it works, but it is on Marlin 1.3, not 2.0.  If you have the Configuration files for this setup, I would greatly appreciated it if you could upload this so I can compile a working version.

Thank you again!

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

You can try this as a starting point.

RoninP liked
ReplyQuote
RoninP
(@roninp)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4 Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. The firmware has been running well. Only issue I've had is the BLTouch will do a weird thing when bed leveling. It will go a couple inches from the board and retracts it's little probe and then goes higher and continues around the bed a few inches above retracting it's probe. It's sporadic and, so far, if I auto home when I turn it on it hasn't done it, but maybe coincidental. All I have to do is shut it off and back on and it works per usual. Easy enough to work around but I thought the feedback might be of interest.

ReplyQuote
-RedBeard87-
(@redbeard87)
New Member Registered

@roninp

Can you post up a firmware.bin file?

I still cant get it to work on my end. No idea why.

4.2.7 without BL touch 

ReplyQuote
kernst1016
(@kernst1016cox-net)
New Member Registered

@holmes4 I have been having issues with the Ender MAX doing some weird things. First, it is giving out unrecognized commands. Second, it just takes off a cross the bed to the edge in the middle of the print leaving a string of filament behind it. Then it comes back to the print and does it again to another edge before it continues printing. I'm using the firmware from Crealitys site. What is going on with this? I have never seen anything like that before. I have 2 other Creality printers Ender 3 pro and Ender V2 and they have never done this. I'm running a 4.2.2 board if that makes a difference.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by kernst1016

ReplyQuote
RoninP
(@roninp)
Active Member Registered

@redbeard87 I used the one that @holmes4 posted near the beginning of this topic. It's labeled 4.2.2.2 though it's supposed to work for 4.2.2.7 because it's from the Marlin source code. But, I can't verify that one way or another as I have 4.2.2.2 . It has worked well for me though

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered

Thanks for putting this info out there. I was able to build the firmware after opening up the platformio.ini file and setting the board type on line 21 to 

default_envs = STM32F103RET6_creality

I don't have the bl touch sensor so I tried turning all that stuff off in the configs that you mentioned but after flashing my machine got an error when I tried to home it saying unable to home please reset machine. I must have something screwed up in the configs. 

ReplyQuote
DooKuu
 DooKuu
(@DooKuu)

Hi guys

So really still new to 3D printing but already have a collection of 3 printers.

Anyway the only one I am having trouble with is the E3MAX.

I downloaded Creality's Official Firmware for the E3MAX+Bltouch and then after that an Older Build of Marlin 2.X and now finally found this thread and downloaded the above current Marlin version 2.x for the E3M with BLTouch but the problem persists.

Firstly how do I manually level the bed with the E3 series to then go onto setting the offset?

For some reason whenever I changed the Z-offset or try set it, it never saves even when going to "store settings" which just beeps so I have no indication of whether or not the settings where actually store for the Z-Offset as when I try home again the nozzle lands up 10mm way above the bed...

Now the second and also MAIN issue I am having is whenever I try to set Home Offsets or certain other options I always get the same error "Err: Too Far!"

I have unplugged the original z switch and am using the 5 pin port on the Creality 4.2.2MB with the Original BLTouch and extension and the cables are in the correct order I am sure.

This is the Order I have the BLTouch wired in the 5 pin connector:

G - Brown

V - Orange

IN - Red

G - Black

OUT - White

I am assuming that you can use the 5 ping connection with the 4.2.2MB and BLTouc V3.1 with official extension on Marlin 2.X?

This is a brand new printer and I have already removed the stock hotend for a Micro Swiss all metal hotend, Capricorn tubing, new glass bed and now the BLTouch and still have not been able to figure out how to setup this machine via the LCD??

I have experience with a CR10 MAX and got that working great.

This is starting to frustrate me because I cannot tell if the machine is setup correctly or not. 

Like I said sorry if I seem horrible or a complete idiot but I am extremely new to 3D printer and once I got my first CR10 MAX and tinkered a bit with that and got it working I feel in love even further with the hobby and machines.

That being said because I am so new I have never made my own build of Marlin or even edited that  Config files for it, which I am assuming could be the culprit behind the "Err: Too Far" message?

I know I should have left the stock parts on until I have the printer setup but I thought I would just put all the upgrades on during the initial setup and then start taming the best once it was setup with all the beefy upgrades but now I regret that decision and the decision of choosing the E3M over the E3V2. 

Any further advice and help would be greatly appreciated regarding the error and how to fix it and some starting points for e-steps and different settings for my current setup with all the extras?

Thanks and this is AWESOME! 😀

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  

@c0untdem0net

Which board do you have? I don't think the one you chose is correct for the Creality 4.2 board - it seems closer to an SKR board. The only thing you needed to turn off was BLtouch at line 905.

Did you try the .bin file I attached earlier? 

ReplyQuote
C0untDeM0net
(@c0untdem0net)
Active Member Registered

I opened it up to take a look. The board version says 4.2.2. The printer came with 1.0.1.8 firmware from Dec 19 2020 which isn't on the creality website anywhere. I have not tried the bin files here yet. Will give it a go and also try to build it again. 

what should the platformio.ini file board type on line 21 be set to 

default_envs =

I got nothing but errors trying to compile the code without changing that. 

ReplyQuote
GrandPappyMike
(@grandpappymike)
New Member Registered

@holmes4 Thanks for uploading the files. I installed the one without and manual mesh bed leveling does not seem to be working. From the Info Screen I go into Motion and then Level Bed. The head rises, travels to the front left corner and then moves to the center of the bed where it goes down to the mechanical stop. The control panel is back at the Info Screen and it says at the bottom Ender-3 Max Ready. My first thought is user error on my part, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks,

Mike

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  

Which board do you have? I thought I had enabled manual mesh leveling - and looking at my sources shows I did. I did test this in a different configuration, and it worked for me, moving the nozzle to each of nine positions and asking me to adjust Z for each.

I never intended to be a source for compiled firmware - I started this thread to show people how to do it themselves. It isn't hard.

ReplyQuote
DooKuu
(@dookuu)
New Member Registered

What wiring options are you guys using for the BLTouch V3.1 on a Creality 4.2.2 board??

I am using the 5 pin header with what I am sure is the correct wiring but I am still getting unpredictable Auto Homing/Probe failures anywhere between the 3x3 auto levelling. 

Sometimes on Auto Homing or Auto Levelling the BLTouch will deploy and fail when making contact with the bed then either blink red a few times and move onto the next probing point or sometimes it will deploy make contact with the bed and just keep going down on the z axis crashing the nozzle into the bed.

I am unsure if the 5 ping header or 3+2 pin header is recommended with the BLTouch V3.1 on a Creality 4.2.2 mother board along with the firmware compatible with the wiring options chosen.

I have tried the 3+2 pin header with the current firmware posted earlier in this thread by Homes whch is the Marlin 2.x.x.x (E3Max-207-422.zip) along with Creality's Official E3 MAX with BLTouch which is Marlin 1.x.x.x and also a 3rd version which is based on Marlin 2.x.x.x by Smith3D. 

All of those using the 3+2 pin and also tried those 3 versions with the 5 pin header has resulted in unpredictable nozzle crashes on auto homing and auto levelling as well as just plain failures on those with the pin making contact but just blinking red sometimes.

What could be causing such weird behaviour with the unpredictability of the BLTouch and 4.2.2 motherboard?

I am using the official Antclabs extension cable which has yellow, red, brown, black and white wires but the cable was not long enough for the E3M so I have extended it with basic breadboard jumpers. (female.male.female).

Last note is I have NOT edited any config files in Visual Studio or anything of the sorts, I have just installed the firmware with the .bin files included and then used prontface for PID tuning.

Please HELP. . . The random probe failures and continuously trying different firmware, not knowing if it's the wiring, firmware or method. 

P.S Holmes while using your firmware for the BLTouch+4.2.2 board was by the best and most accessible user experience for someone who is still new to 3D printing. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Scroll Up