Clear all

Building Marlin 2.0 for the Ender 3 Max

Page 2 / 6

holmes4
(@holmes4)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @oliverhbailey

Actually, if you download the header files for the Ender 3 Pro V 1.5, that contains all the source and is properly setup for the Creality V4. This is for version 4.0.7.2 source tree. Just changing the version of the motherboard does not provide a successful firmware build.

I don't know what you're getting at here. The 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 boards need a different motherboard keyword in the Marlin configuration.h file, but everything else should be the same between these two. I have built both variants without issue. If you start with an Ender 3 Pro, the build volume will be incorrect for the Max (and this is not something you can set from the printer.) I don't know what "4.0.7.2" is referring to.

ReplyQuote
Fanatic1074
(@fanatic1074)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4

Ok it flashed this time, i just needed to go get a drink LOL.

However i got an error :

EEPROM Version Error

Initialize EEPROM?

Options are ignore and reset

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  

Yes, initialize EEPROM. You will see this the first time.

ReplyQuote
Fanatic1074
(@fanatic1074)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4

So reset?  Sorry just dont wanna brick my printer. 

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  

Yes, reset. You'll be fine. 

ReplyQuote
Fanatic1074
(@fanatic1074)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4

Awesome, thanks.  Seems to be working now.  Going to try to do the bed leveling thing, hopefully this fixes my uneven printing issues.  Im still super new to this and i kept having failed prints.

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  

@fanatic1074

Glad to hear it. You will want to re-calibrate, especially E-steps, as the values in the firmware might not be right for your printer.

ReplyQuote
Fanatic1074
(@fanatic1074)
Active Member Registered

@holmes4

Thanks,  its already working better, my e steps were bang on.  im printing some test pieces now for x y and z, then imma look at the e steps again.  My first couple layers are still kinda janky...  not sure how to fix that yet but imma just keep trying to calibrate and hopefully it comes into line.

I really appreciate the help!

ReplyQuote
oliverhbailey
(@oliverhbailey)
New Member Registered

The latest source code is 2.0.7.2 with bug fixes. If you have a board version 4.2.2,  you now need to download the source for the Ender 3 Pro Max 1.5, it is the only source that builds for the 4.2.2 board. The other versions are now for the 4.2.7 board and if you change the machine ID in configuration.h, the build will fail due to source code changes between the boards. 

ReplyQuote
brutalibus
(@brutalibus)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @holmes4

Has anyone tried these builds yet?

I decided to replace the 4.2.7 board with an SKR Mini E3 V2.0, along with a TFT touch panel. It comes with a Marlin 2.0 build, but I built my own 2.0.7.2 version. The major thing I wanted from this was Linear Advance, which simply does not work on the Creality boards. Haven't got the BLTouch working right yet (I think I have an issue with the connector), but otherwise it works well and I am enjoying the color touchscreen. What's fun is that you can switch between a graphic touch UI and a standard Marlin menu.

Thanks holmes4 for your guide, I've successful compiled marlin 2.0.7.2 with bltouch and 4.2.2 motheboard (ender 3 max). Things I've changed from your guide are PID for hotend and BED and the motherboard version. 

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @oliverhbailey

The latest source code is 2.0.7.2 with bug fixes. If you have a board version 4.2.2,  you now need to download the source for the Ender 3 Pro Max 1.5, it is the only source that builds for the 4.2.2 board. The other versions are now for the 4.2.7 board and if you change the machine ID in configuration.h, the build will fail due to source code changes between the boards. 

Ah, 2.0.7.2, not 4.0.7.2 (Marlin version). And what is an "Ender 3 Pro Max"? That model doesn't exist, as best as I can tell.

The Ender 3 Max is just a larger Ender 3 (V1). I have successfully built Marlin 2.0.7.2 for both the 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 boards by changing only the MOTHERBOARD define in configuration.h (Marlin provides an "example" configuration for the Ender 3 with the 4.2.7 board). I tested the 4.2.7 build and others here tested the 4.2.2 build. There are no other changes required. I looked at the example for "Ender-3 Pro V1.5" (maybe what you were referring to?) and it has some differences from the "Ender-3 V427" (including motherboard type), but none that seem significant enough to cause build issues.

It's annoying that Creality provides Marlin source downloads for all of its printers EXCEPT for the Ender 3 Max!

ReplyQuote
oliverhbailey
(@oliverhbailey)
New Member Registered

Let me try this again. Marlin version 2.0.7.4 is the latest bug fix. That version splits the source code for the 4.2.2 board from the 4.2.7 board. The proper source code for the 4.2.2 board is "Ender 3 Pro 1.5" in the headers.zip file. The "configuration.h" and "configuration_adv.h" is different for the 4.2.2 board and is set properly in the 2.0.7.4 source tree. The other Ender 3 machine versions are preset to the 4.2.7 board and will not compile successfully if the board type is changed due to differences in the source tree. I am making the assumption you are obtaining the latest source code from "github".  

ReplyQuote
oliverhbailey
(@oliverhbailey)
New Member Registered

And forgive me, there is quite a lag time in our responses. They were merged, then split at 2.0.7.2, and may have been merged since. I tried changing the machine type and it failed. I filed a bug report and then found the readme.md for the Ender 3 Pro 1.5, which stated it is specific to the 4.2 controller board. It compiled properly and when I diff'ed the files, they were different from the version 4.2.7 board. 

ReplyQuote
holmes4
(@holmes4)
Topic starter  

@oliverhbailey, I see. I was not using the Creality sources, but rather downloaded from marlinfw.org. I had no issues with 2.0.7.2 built that way. I "diffed" the configuration.h file from the Pro 1.5 download and my own 4.2.7 version (from marlinfw.org) and I saw no differences that would result in build errors. There were some value changes, for things such as jerk.

I'll look closer at what this "bugfix" version has, though now I am running an SKR board so it is of less interest to me.

ReplyQuote
clamstrip
(@clamstrip)
New Member Registered

@holmes4 awesome content!  

any chance you could post E3Max-207-427.zip as you did for 422 below?  thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6