Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Still USB Problems

G0ldmember
(@g0ldmember)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi,

from what I've read, the problem that the CR6-SE was blowing up in smoke when connecting a computer via USB only occured during the early beta phase and should be fixed with the current models.

What I tried now is to connect Octoprint on a Raspberry PI with a USB cable. The printer did not blow up in smoke, but when the printer is off (main power switch) and the USB cable is connected, the LCD screen starts flickering. This should not happen I guess.

Is that still a design flaw and will this harm the computer or the printer?

To make sure nothing will be damaged I taped over the DCC PIN on the USB plug...

This topic was modified 4 months ago 2 times by G0ldmember

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@g0ldmember I think so, there is still some flaw. Normally it should be light on when the USB cable connected.

ReplyQuote
G0ldmember
(@g0ldmember)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kevin

@g0ldmember I think so, there is still some flaw. Normally it should be light on when the USB cable connected.

Hey Kevin. Actually I guess the LCD display should do nothing at all if the mains switch is still off, no matter if a USB host is connected or not.

The actual question is if this is dangerous and can harm the hardware and if there is a possibility to fix this (except for "blocking" +5V on the USB cable)

This post was modified 4 months ago by G0ldmember

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@g0ldmember Hi, bro. I am sure that the USB cable could supply power to the LCD screen even the printer is power off. Creality Tech team sometimes teaches users to check if the screen is broken in this way.

I do not think it will harm a computer or the printer, the power is not strong enough. But as I mentioned, it should be light on and you can control the menu.

Another interesting test, Dolly moves your hotbed when the printer power off, you will find the LCD screen flashing.

ReplyQuote
G0ldmember
(@g0ldmember)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @kevin

[...]

Another interesting test, Dolly moves your hotbed when the printer power off, you will find the LCD screen flashing.

Yeah I already found out that if I move the hotbed when the printer is off, some blue LEDs are also flashing. Maybe because of induction.

ReplyQuote
kevin
(@kevin)
Noble Member Registered

@g0ldmember exactly. Hahaha ? 

ReplyQuote
校工叔叔(Mr. Au)
(@nice)
Eminent Member Registered

I do this with just a piece of tape.

ReplyQuote
rowdy
(@rowdy)
New Member Registered

I just cut the 5volt wire on a USB cable, and labelled it as an unpowered cable.

ReplyQuote
tinkmaster
(@tinkmaster)
New Member Registered

Be careful about this - I fried a brand-new $75 RPi 4B by connecting it to my recently-purchased CR-6 SE via the USB cable. Take steps (tape trick, modifying the cable, etc.) to prevent power from being supplied to the RPi from the printer. This is still an issue, even with the BTT drop-in replacement board.

ReplyQuote
Cr6Se11
(@cr6se11)
New Member Registered

@g0ldmember 

OF course! while reading up on it, everything was rainbows and lollipops, 5 stars, :Best printer I've ever owned" and such.

The MINUTE I click Pay on my Paypal link, then they are ok, but they do catch fire. And that's why you never rent an apartment in an all wood framed building, because even if it's non smoking, Someone may have a 3D Printer.

ReplyQuote